How to Export as tax included amount into QB Desktop Enterprise 18.0/19.0?

Nik12Nik12 Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hi,

I'm testing out the integration between Expensify and QB Enterprise, and everything is good except for one major issue that seems like it should be simply resolvable. When the receipt gets smart scanned i.e. a parking receipt for $11, this amount already includes the HST. when the sync goes through the receipt gets entered into the subtotal line instead of the total line in QB and essentially gets double taxed so the bill shows up as $12.43 ($11.00+HST) in QB which is incorrect.

I set-up the preferences in QB to allow tax inclusive (gross prices) to be entered and thought that the "amounts include tax" checkbox should resolve the issue so that when the $11 gets synced it should stay as $11, however when the sync goes through this checkbox gets unchecked and again it gets double taxed.

Does anyone know a solution to this issue? There isn't really a point in using Expensify if we have to manually go in and fix each bill to amounts before HST, so I imagine there is a solution to this problem already out there.

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 578Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@Nik12 You would need to reach to Intuit. We don't integrate tax with QuickBooks Desktop. We send over the full amount and QuickBooks is applying the additional tax. There isn't anything we are able to do on our end. I wish I could be more help.

• Nik12Nik12 Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

@Nicole Trepanier how do your clients work around this tax issue? Is there a way to sync amounts before HST? I.e. you have tax tracking set-up now in the app so could I set-up somewhere in preferences to sync the amount less the "HST" found in tax tracking? That would resolve the issue but I can't seem to find a way to set that up.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 578Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@Nik12 We do have a tax tracking feature but it doesn't integrate with QuickBooks Desktop. I'm not sure what other users do as a workaround to this. As far as I know QuickBooks should be making these tax inclusive since that's the setting you selected.

• Nik12Nik12 Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

@Nicole Trepanier, I've followed up with Quickbooks and from the testing we did the tax inclusive option is working on their end of things it's only after the sync where the issue occurs.

I've found an older thread referencing my issue and the proposed solution which I implemented (proposed on the thread )doesn't work.

Link to thread: https://community.expensify.com/discussion/1363/proper-importing-of-expenses-and-hst-in-qb-desktop

I'm wondering, if the question above (in the link) was resolved at a later date through an update?

@Nik12 It doesn't look like there was a resolution but you can ping those users in that thread to see if they were able to make it work.

• CraigDWCraigDW Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

@Nicole Trepanier - Does Expensify have plans to integrate QuickBooks Desktop with tax, or provide the option proposed by @Nik12 to sync the amount less tax? Is Expensify communicating with QuickBooks on this barrier? I can post a similar comment on their support/community page, but I anticipate Expensify's development team would have more influence and understanding of the issues. Please let me know if you discover a work-around or a change is made.

@CraigDW We aren't currently making any changes to the QuickBooks Desktop integration as we are focusing on cloud based integrations. We have no plans to include tax in the QuickBooks Desktop sync. We send the total amount of the expense and QuickBooks applies the tax after we create the report. If your settings are set to Tax Inclusive but it's applying it as exclusive, this is an issue on the Intuit side.

• SoSimpleSoSimple Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

@Nicole Trepanier, @CraigDW

Hi Nicole, it is an issue on Expensify's side. Also why wouldn't you let us export a subtotal before tax as @Nik12 proposed? We don't need a tax integration you already have it in your software, all we need is an option to NOT export the total amount, but to export the amount before tax. All you'd have to do is take the total from the receipt and subtract the calculated tax using your tax tracking feature and just allow us to export that amount into Quickbooks. Why won't you allow that? It would solve all the problems regarding tax with your QuickBooks users. Is there something that prevents you from doing this?

@Nicole Trepanier

Expensify should stop marketing their product as having integration with Quickbooks Desktop and stop allowing their customers to attempt it. This is very misleading and an issue on the Expensify side.

Hi @SoSimple and @CraigDW. While the current integration with QuickBooks Desktop doesn't integrate with tax we do have almost four thousand companies using the existing integration.

Unfortunately, we are committed to focusing on cloud-based accounting integrations so we won't be making any changes to the QuickBooks Desktop integration. Desktop integrations are much more difficult to create and maintain which is why we struggle to support a QuickBooks Desktop integration and have concluded that we should focus our engineering resources on cloud based integrations only for feature updates.

• SoSimpleSoSimple Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

@Nicole Trepanier Hi Nicole, what we're trying to say is you don't need a tax integration all you need is a simple option to export something other than the total. Right now you only export one number which is the total after tax, regardless of what platform it is (cloud or whatever) it would be helpful for ANYONE if you would allow us to export the subtotal as well.

There is no "complex QB tax integration" that requires engineering focus here it's a simple option to export the subtotal instead of just the total. Do you have engineers on this forum that can look at this? Is there a way to get into contact with one, I mean if you asked them yourself they would say how easy it is, and would solve a lot of headaches for thousands of other QuickBooks Desktop clients who actually require tax (often larger companies). Also likely right now a large portion of your four thousand clients using the integration are having to manually divide the HST each time the expense gets exported not a very "automated" solution.

In any case my apologies for the frustration, but to summarize all we're asking for is if it is possible (which I believe it is not only possible but very easy) to have an option to export a SUBTOTAL instead of the TOTAL AFTER TAX to QuickBooks when the sync goes through, that's it. If there's a reason as to why it's too complex and would require significant "engineering focus" I would concede and say okay please focus on your cloud integrations. But this is practically a two hour fix, and a reason as to why it's not being done has not been provided which is why this is very frustrating.

@SoSimple I have spoken to our engineers and this would require more than a two hour fix. We would not only need to change the total amount being sent in the call, but we would need to update the UI to make this an option, plus QA would need to be done to make sure the changes aren't affecting other parts of the sync or export.

As a company we are at a hard stop when it comes to new features for the QuickBooks Desktop. No changes to this integration will be considered. We are sorry if the existing integration will not work for your company but you do have the option of exporting to a CSV and using Transaction Pro Importer to get your expenses into QuickBooks. It's much more customizable than the direct integration.

@Nicole Trepanier

You mentioned 4,000 other companies are utilizing the integration. Could you please provide detail on how they are working around this issue? Is it that the volume is low and they don't mind manually adjusting each transaction's HST? Or are they using another tool like Transaction Pro Importer?

@CraigDW US companies don't have to report on taxes but most of our Canadian and UK companies using QuickBooks Desktop do use Transaction Pro Importer and we offer a Multiple tax CSV template that can be added to your account to pull this information from Expensify.

The majority of our QuickBooks Desktop companies are located in the US. QuickBooks Desktop isn't very common with out international clients but I can confirm that we do have companies in both Canada and the UK using it. They use the direct integration to import data from QuickBooks, then export to a CSV and upload it into QuickBooks using Transaction Pro Importer.

• SimpleSolutionSimpleSolution Posts: 0Expensify Customer

@Nicole Trepanier

Hi Nicole, the problem IS on Expensify's side @Nik12 's solution. This could easily be resolved but no explanation has been provided as to why this has not been done, genuinely you would have significantly more companies transitioning to Expensify if you fixed this issue.

Because you have tax tracking enabled on Expensify all you would need to do on Expensify's side is to allow us to export the SUBTOTAL of the receipt (NOT the Total after tax).

That way when the export goes through QB can apply whatever tax it wants afterwards and it would be correct... We just need a feature to export the SUBTOTAL of the receipt which is very simple to do on Expensify's end with the tax tracking feature you have, all you would have to do is enable a calculated subtotal of Total - (Calculated Tax which is already done in Expensify) which would yield that SUBTOTAL of the receipt that we want to export to QuickBooks.

Right now you're forcing us to export the Total after tax to QB which then applies their own tax, all we need is an option to export the subtotal.