Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status (updated April 3, 2020) 

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep our fund moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that’s submitted per our instructions. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Removing CSV export activity from the report comments?

JuliaJulia Expensify Customer Posts: 198 Expensify Pro

Is there a way to remove the comments 'exported this report to a CSV file.' from an expense report?
I have a high volume of reports/data that I plow through, and I am CONSTANTLY uploading data as CSVs.
I really don't want my end users to see it in the comments each time I create an excel file compiling data from that report, because it makes it so much harder for them to review the information that they actually care about (when was it approved, when is it being reimbursed, when was something rejected, etc)
I am only on week 3 rolling this out to our nearly 400 person company, and I am constantly having to export these reports to cross check different data, all through different time frames.
ie; Did the CC transaction hit GP (our accounting software, Microsoft Dynamics), did the reimbursable expenses hit GP, did the payment hit GP, have all the payable documents been applied and correctly, did anything get reimbursed that ended up being a credit card transaction, are there possible duplicate CC and expense transactions, and then don't even get me started on running through all the data to see what expenses didn't pay sales tax and need to have use tax on them! (usually Amazon).
Since there's no way to add additional filter layers in the reporting section like 'approved/reimbursed ON or PRIOR to a specific date', I am constantly doubling over the same report IDs that I've already evaluated. Even though it's annoying and tedious, it's manageable in excel. I just loathe that it shows up in the comments. Once I am 6 months into using this system, those comments will easily have over a hundred saying they were exported to a CSV.
(PS we use a direct integration with GP, so the CSV does nothing to actually push data.)

PPS. Shameless plug- if you agree that reports need additional status names (like being able to 'archive' something) and more filters, please upvote my idea here: https://community.expensify.com/discussion/398/additional-report-statuses-like-archived#latest

Answers

• tylerzolltylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 436 Expensify Champion
    edited October 2017

@Julia, Do you use the loading dock at all? I would think that would be a really helpful feature for you so you don't have to download so many CSV files and you can have all of the information that you need. I think the loading dock is completely customizable to export your data and it doesn't show up on the report comments. It's been a while since I did the setup, but that was the case a couple of years ago. Expensify Support is really good at helping setting up a template if you need them to help with that.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,155 Expensify Team

@Julia -- This is a really good thread, thank you for creating it and for sharing your idea post as well.

As you've found there isn't a way to sort or filter the comment section on a report, however I can understand how an admin's exports may muddle the History & Comment section so that it is very hard to follow.

I'm going to chat with my team members about this, but at this time I'm unaware of any upcoming changes to the comment section of the report.

The loading dock export that @tylerzoll was discussing is not customizable but shows you a concise overview of the company card expenses importing into Expensify.

I gave your idea post a friendly bump to bring some more visibility to it, I hope you get some more comments and votes!

• JuliaJulia Expensify Customer Posts: 198 Expensify Pro

Hey Tyler,
    I do use the loading dock, but unfortunately the information is only one dimensional as it populates data for Credit card transactions only. Plus the report fields aren't able to be customized to the same level the export formats are, and I can't drill down to some of the nitty gritty details I really want to see at a glance.
    If it included reimburseable and mileage expenses as well, then that'd be really beneficial and I could probably eliminate at least half of the CSV exports I do.

Thanks for the bump Sheena. Hopefully the Expensify team can agree that there is a lot of value in adding additional fields to the report filters and additional report status types soon.
    I cannot see the current options being scaleable for our company. I seriously wonder how other companies with hundreds of employees who are submitting expenses regularly are sifting through those reports, or if they're struggling like I am. I know my users don't like seeing their 'reimbursed' reports from two weeks ago that they've long forgotten about muddled up with this past week's report that they actually do care about.
    I think I heard some murmurs that the loading dock may be getting enhanced in the near future, so hopefully they can find ways to incorporate all expenses and reimbursements, not just the credit cards. (Although I do find it super handy for CC transactions. I just definitely recognize that it could do a lot more)

• AussiebanditAussiebandit Expensify Customer Posts: 259 Expensify Champion

Hi @Julia - we have a few reports that are complex and a lot of data and we have had our Expensify Account Manager get a template designed to our specifications and added to only the users that need that report.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,155 Expensify Team

@Julia -- When the reports page feels overwhelming and you're having a hard time finding out what needs your attention, we always recommend using the 'Inbox' tab of your account.

From the 'Inbox' you'll find a task that lists all the reports that need you or your employee's attention. This would be reports waiting for submission (your employees would see this) or reports that need approval, reimbursement, or export (an approver or policy admin would see this).

Below is a quick glimpse at my Inbox tab. You'll see that each report listed has a button to the far right to take my action, and that the reports are broken down by policy.

By using the Inbox tab you'll be able to quickly see what your tasks in Expensify are and be able to start them right from the task.

• tylerzolltylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 436 Expensify Champion

Julia,

If you are on the expenses tab, and you are looking at submitted expenses, can you get the expenses to show up there that you are exporting? If you can select the expenses from there you can export to a CSV. Not sure if this helps, but worth a try.

@tylerzoll good suggestion, but for some reason, the expenses tab doesn't populate our users information for me through the admin accounts. I can see it if I access one of my approving manager's accounts as a co-pilot, but I think the amount of expenses we have might have made this option not available to us.

@Aussiebandit I ended up setting a couple different custom exports using the formula creation page. It is definitely helpful to be able to dive deeper into the data and get the specific information that I can continue to work on in excel with vlookups and pivot tables. My only issue is that I'm constantly exporting these files, because I'm looking for different sets of data at different times. I can't easily filter which reports I've gone over (they're all 'reimbursed' status, as opposed to having an option to 'archive' the ones that I've done all the preliminary analysis on), so I have to include them all.

I think I will start looking into using SSRS SQL reporting for this maybe. Just wish the features were a little more rich within Expensify on the admin side.

• AussiebanditAussiebandit Expensify Customer Posts: 259 Expensify Champion

@Julia - I agree, Expensify needs to give more control to admins to create and manage any report easily

(WOW this is late, but this was an unposted comment somehow. Never showed up as a draft, but when I accidentally clicked on this thread, I was brought to my response just sitting there)

@Aussiebandit I ended up setting a couple different custom exports using the formula creation page. It is definitely helpful to be able to dive deeper into the data and get the specific information that I can continue to work on in excel with vlookups and pivot tables. My only issue is that I'm constantly exporting these files, because I'm looking for different sets of data at different times. I can't easily filter which reports I've gone over (they're all 'reimbursed' status, as opposed to having an option to 'archive' the ones that I've done all the preliminary analysis on), so I have to include them all.

I think I will start looking into using SSRS SQL reporting for this maybe. Just wish the features were a little more rich within Expensify on the admin side