Auto Submit by Calendar Month (to support accounting month-end processes)

ChristianChristian Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I'm not sure if this is a new idea or not, Zoom support suggested I add this here as a way to potentially get it on the roadmap....

This is in regards to the auto-submit feature.

I understand that the auto-submit is setup to make things easier for the users and kind of assumes that all users always enter expenses at the moment they are incurred. Something that would really be cool is to allow an option that is setup to facilitate corporate accounting and expense processes. Here is a super common use case that corporate customers would absolutely love. This seems like a super easy thing to put on the roadmap and would be a huge win for marketing/sales.

As an accounting department, I have to close the books on the 10th of every month (most companies are similar). It is really important that I have all expenses for the previous month submitted by like the 6th of the month. Of course we have a policy for everyone to submit by then, but people get busy and forget. Unfortunately, our users (and I'm guessing this is common) don't always enter every expense at the moment it happens, they often create them after the fact when they have time. So, I can't setup auto-submit for the last day of the month, it would not work. I initially set up auto-submit as "monthly" on the 6th day of the month thinking it would wrap up everything from the previous month and auto-submit on the 6th day of the current month. This would ensure we get all expenses on time and my sales folks would not have to worry about remembering to get everything in on time, especially if they are busy or traveling. It has recently come to my attention that it does not work this way (if you set it for the 6th then it literally submits for the 6th to the 6th). My request is to have a way (a check box or something) that allows the monthly submission to include all expenses (or reports with at least one expense) from the previous month to be auto-submitted, but not necessarily on the last day of the month (like a few days into the new month, like the 6th). It gives the users a few extra days to get caught up and supports common accounting processes. This seems like something that pretty much all companies would want to use.

I hope this makes sense.

8 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 2,082Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @Christian, thanks for sharing. Don't forget to vote for your idea at the bottom of your original post!

• RPMauraRPMaura Posts: 5Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Setting auto submit on X date would be helpful for me. I aim for reports to be submitted by the 3rd business day I am not sure that you can set up business days vs just days.

• TkretzTkretz Posts: 1Expensify Customer

This would be so so helpful for me! I was hoping the Control plan would have this feature but I guess it doesn't (I'm currently on collect)

• HALLDAHALLDA Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I too would find this useful. Knowing that the prior month expenses were going to be automatically submitted on the xth day of the new month would also be a motivation tool to get them done. No expense on day x, then no reimbursement....

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Posts: 893Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach

@HALLDA we used to have a feature that did this, but it caused more issues than it solved. As you can imagine, when the users don't get them done in time...

So now what we recommend is that you connect your corporate cards via Domain Control, set Scheduled Submit to the 5th of the month, and then use the Company Card Reconciliation Dashboard to do your card rec. This gives the card transactions enough time to post, and by the time you reconcile your statement, all the transactions should be approved, processed and exported, regardless of what expense report they are on.

Essentially we are trying to completely disconnect the reconciliation process from the reporting process, as the two just do not gel in real-life.

We are always looking for ways to improve this process, so definitely any use-case scenarios are super helpful. We know at present that the sticking point is around the export to accounting part of the equation!

• C_Bradford_1C_Bradford_1 Posts: 17Approved! Accountant Expensify Newcomer

Hi,

As someone who works in accounting, I agree that month-end can become an issue with regards to dates of expense receipts in Expensify.

In my opinion, and apologies if this is confusing, but it may be easiest if we could have two dates for a receipt as follows in the system:

1. The receipt date - literally the date of the receipt / expense.
    2. An "accounting date", whereby an admin can enter a date on a receipt (or an entire claim as appropriate) that will feed through into accounting software before the claim is approved.

For instance, if it was an accounting policy to wrap up the previous month on the 5th, and then an employee submitted a receipt dated 29th June 2019 on 7th July 2019, by pressing "approve" with a date of 29th June, this would feed into June's accounts, when these are already finalised, which can create a mess!

By having an extra level for accounting date, if I entered an accounting date of 7th July 2019, this would feed correctly into July's accounts and not affect prior months' numbers.

I think this would be extremely beneficial and I look forward to hearing any comments regarding this.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 782Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@C_Bradford_1 Depending on the accounting software you are using there are optional dates that can be used during export. Can you give me an example of an accounting software and the type of expense? I can tell you more about the options that are available for the date that's sent over.

• C_Bradford_1C_Bradford_1 Posts: 17Approved! Accountant Expensify Newcomer

@Nicole Trepanier

Sorry if this is a bit vague!

The main software we use would be Xero, and typical receipts would include travel and subsistence.

The accounting date default for Xero at present appears to be the date of the last expense on a report. For instance, it receipts dated from 29th July to 2nd August 2019 were claimed on a report, the accounting date of the whole report would be 2nd August 2019.

The trouble with the above example is that July's receipts from this claim would then go into August's accounts, which means the month-end figures may not look accurate as a consequence. This is therefore not ideal, and you could have a situation in the above example whereby a report with say 30 July receipts and 2 August receipts gets exported as an August accounting date, when the majority of the expenses were actually incurred in July.

At present, there does not appear to be a way around this other than telling employees / claimants to separate out their claims, and only claim July's receipts on one claim, August's on one claim, etc.? Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is why I would suggest a feature whereby we can have accounting dates on a receipt by receipt basis, rather than a whole report. As I mentioned above, the ideal way from my perspective would be two have the option of entering two dates on a receipt as follows:

1. The receipt date - literally the date of the receipt / expense.
    2. An "accounting date", whereby an admin can enter a date on a receipt (or an entire claim as appropriate) that will feed through into accounting software before the claim is approved.

I welcome any comments from others on this matter.