Import CSV Transactions containing comma separator

MarceloMartins
MarceloMartins Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
edited August 2018 in Best Practices

Hi,
I am new in Expensify and I am trying to import CSV files with bank transactions. Since I am from Brazil, the bank transactions come with the Portuguese number format that uses coma for decimals and point for thousand separation. Is it possible to include a number format in the import CSV tool?

Best Answer

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hello @diegocal, @JJPepping and @MarceloMartins, thank you all for bearing with me and being so patient. I have run through a ton of testing and recreation of this, as well as escalating a change in functionality to my team.

Sadly, updating our import system to support the comma turned out to be a much bigger project than anticipated and we're currently unable to move forward with implementing it.

That being said, I've created some tips to help you utilize CSV import until we can support the comma in the manner you need.

1. Use "Find & Replace" functionality in your normal spreadsheet editing program (Google Sheets, Excel, Numbers) to find the comma in your expense amounts. Replace with a period so our system can create accurate expenses.
    2. Name your columns. If you name your columns for merchant, date and amount as such, our system automatically maps them for you.

I'm sorry I don't have an easy to use and elegant solution for you all, but I'm monitoring request for this and tracking it closely. I'll circle back to you here on this thread when updates are possible!

Answers