default Class/Category for each employee

IleneIlene Posts: 2Expensify Customer

Is there a way to set up a default Class/Category for each employee

Comments

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 928Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @Ilene Welcome to the Expensify Community!

Not via your Policy, no, but the user themselves can create an Expense Rule to apply a certain category to ALL of their expenses.

They can do this under Settings > Your Account > Expense Rules by entering just a plain '.' in the 'Merchant Name Contains' field and selecting the category. Like so:

You can even apply it to existing expenses!

Let me know if I can help with anything further!

• IleneIlene Posts: 2Expensify Customer

Thanks for the information.

However, it would be easier if an admin can setup a default class/category instead of asking each employee to do it themselves.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,908Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi! Unfortunately Expense Rules can only be set up by each individual user. They cannot be set up in the policy settings. Another customer has created this Idea post in the Community requesting policy level expense rules as a feature. I'd like to encourage you to lend your voice in support of this functionality. 

However, Expensify does use the concept of implicit categories (think "sticky" categories). Each time a user categorizes a particular merchant, I will remember what was chosen and automatically apply that same category the next time that same merchant comes up. So if some users do not wish to set up an Expense Rules, I will help them out by remembering their historical choices and automatically applying the previously used category. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions!