ExpensifyApproved! Maximizing your Expensify Discount for you and your Clients
There are two methods to allow clients access to your ExpensifyApproved! partner discount. One method is to instruct clients to purchase Expensify directly and enter your firm's “promo code” -- this gives them up to a 30% discount off the list price.
However, there’s another method that offers your clients up to an 82.5% discount! That method is described below.
Expensify Active User Pricing
As described on our pricing page, all customers have two options for pricing:
Annual vs Pay-Per-Use
- Annual: $18 /mo. If the client commits to an Annual Subscription, they'll receive a 50% discount off of Pay-Per-Use pricing. Annual pricing is billed on a monthly basis for a 12 month period.
- Pay-Per-Use: $36/mo. The client is billed $36 for each active user in a given month. No annual commitment; leave anytime.
Bundled vs Unbundled
Bundled clients (clients who adopt the Expensify card) are entitled to an extra discount on top of their Annual or Pay-per-use subscriptions.
- Bundled clients can receive up to a 75% discount on their monthly bill, bringing their bill down to $9 /mo when on an Annual subscription or $18/mo when on Pay-Per-Use.
- Unbundled clients can still enjoy Expensify without the Expensify Card and will be billed at either $18 /mo on an Annual Subscription $36/mo on Pay-per-use.
The Bundled vs Unbundled options are available to all customers, whether or not you're an ExpensifyApproved! partner. Specific to ExpensifyApproved! partners, however, are the tiered discounts that are applied to reduce the list price.
For example, Platinum tier partners bundled with the Expensify Card are able to purchase Annual Subscription seats for $6.30/mo.
Policy Owners Pay for Usage in Expensify
The general design of Expensify is that whoever owns the expense policy pays for the activity on that expense policy. As an accountant creating policies for your clients, if you retain ownership of the client policy, you will be billed by Expensify for the client’s activity -- which you can then re-bill to them based on your client agreement.
Maintaining Annual Subscriptions Across Clients
Annual subscriptions are billed to the Policy Owner. If you choose to pay the monthly bill on behalf of your clients, then your Policy Owner essentially owns all of your client billing (under 1 subscription). Accordingly, if you consolidated billing for all clients under one billing owner, your annual subscriptions and Expensify Card savings will be shared between all clients. This design enables you to provide incredible discounts to your clients as you can make a single annual commitment on behalf of all clients, without your clients needing to make any commitment at all.
Since your tiered discount is applied to the price that you pay, this means you can provide the equivalent of $36/mo no-commitment Pay-Per-Use seats to your client base for as low as $6.30/mo -- an 82.5% discount off of what they would pay if buying direct!
Let’s explore an example to help paint the picture:
- You have 10 clients, each of which has 5 active users, for a total of 50 active users.
- If you were to buy Pay-Per-Use seats for each of your clients, it would cost $1800 per month (excluding your tiered discount)
- However, despite the activity of any given client changing on a monthly basis, it’s probable that most months would have at least 40 active users -- combined across all clients.
- Recognizing this, if you commit to 40 annual seats, you can reduce your monthly cost from $1800/mo to ($18*40 + $36*10) = $1080.
- Additionally, say 5 clients (25 active users) adopted the Expensify card for 100% of their spend. This brings your monthly cost down further, from $1800/mo to (((18*40)-50%) +((36*10)-50%) = $540
- This lets you offer clients the equivalent of $36/mo Pay-Per-Use seats for $10.80/mo -- a 70% discount (not including your tiered discount)!
- The recommended best practice is to enable auto-increase on the Annual subscription and enroll the majority of clients on the Expensify card to keep the active user price at $9, thus avoiding any overages being charged back to clients.
Every month, Expensify will send you a single bill for the combined activity across all of your clients. The bill will include:
- Annual Seats: The number of clients on an Annual subscription in your firm’s portfolio
- Pay-Per-Use Seats: Clients who were active that fell outside of your set subscription size.
- Bundle: Adopting the Expensify Card for 50% or more of a client’s approved spend and subscribing to an annual plan.
- Subtotal: (Annual x $18) + (Pay-Per-Use x $36)
- Savings: The amount saved when adopting the Expensify bundle or committing to an annual policy.
- Policy list: A list of all client policies along with active seats.
If you have any questions, just ask in the Community or write into [email protected].