Allow Admins to Access Accounts without Having Employees Add as Co-Pilot

jphillipsjphillips Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

It would be helpful to allow Administrators to access and change all accounts without having the employees add them as a 'co-pilot'. There are times when I need to simple change a date or add a penny to the amount and we have to go through the whole process before I can get it to do that and then I have to re-submit it with that one change to have the department heads approve it yet again for one minor mistake. If the admin or another type status was an option to allow a single user full access to all accounts to act as a 'co-pilot' status for all, then these minor changes could be dealt with BEFORE the department heads receive it. Getting 42 employees to add us as co-pilot is difficult.

Thanks for any consideration!

6 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 782Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@jphillips Thanks for creating an idea post. The reason we don't give admins this option is because many users use Expensify for both personal and business expenses or they have a personal credit card importing and not all of the transactions are business transactions. Policy Admins are not granted access to these expenses unless a user grants them co-pilot access.

• jphillipsjphillips Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Sure. But, do they not have to disburse personal and business to two different policies? So, could the policy that the business 'owns' have that access while any expenses they put under their other (or personal) policy for themselves, the business policy admin wouldn't see? You are, in essence, not allow the business to control their own expenses at this point. If the account is set up as a business account, then the company should be able to control this first and then maybe provide an "opt out" option for those that need it. Just an idea!

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 782Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@jphillips When a new expense is added to Expensify it is not technically on a policy until it is put on a report. Any reports including open reports can be viewed by any admins on the policy. The only thing you can't do is edit the expense until it's been submitted.

• kdearixonkdearixon Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I understand you're trying to balance what will work for both the personal and company policies. However, this is the biggest frustration for our company too, and probably admins worldwide. Especially because we are paying for this service for our business expenses, and we are limited on what we can do because Expensify insists on offering a personal policy under the same umbrella. I feel like my hands are tied most of the time. Below are some suggestions that might help admins a little, which shouldn't affect the personal policy.

1. Let admins edit open reports that are under the policies that we own. If we need to push open reports through for our employees at month end, we cant even move items (Ex. receipts not linked to credit card yet) off of the report prior to submitting it. We have to push it through wrong, and then reject those receipts back to them. Just causes unnecessary rejection emails to our employees that we could have discreetly fixed prior to pushing the report through.
    2. If we have a company credit card feed tied to our domain, those credit card charges should NOT be available to put on a PERSONAL policy that we cant even see. Shouldn't even be possible. This has happened at least 3 times in the last 3 months and we don't catch it until reconciling to our general ledger because those expenses are nowhere to be found. According to Expensify reconciliation dashboard, those expenses were submitted on a report so we wrongly assumed they were in our general ledger. To fix, we have to wait for the employee to go in and pull their personal report back and change the policy to a company policy and resubmit, because we can't even see the personal report to fix it. We have put some safeguards in place to try to minimize this happening in the future, but Expensify should make it impossible to submit corporate credit card charges on a personal policy. Our employees didn't even know that they did it because somehow they switched their default policy to their personal. They have even asked if they can inactivate the personal policy, and I wish we could.
    3. When employees are uploading receipts, allow them to select which policy that receipt should be tied to. This will prevent personal receipts from being loaded into their company policy if their company policy is the "default," and vice versa.

Any consideration to these suggestions would be appreciated!

• Jacob_Vogel123Jacob_Vogel123 Posts: 6Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Jphillips, I am right there with you. I just had to vent a bit about how ridiculous the co-pilot feature is in Expensify. I am just starting to use the system, and ran into an issue where old transactions were accidentally imported from our Amex bank feed. In order for me to remove these transactions (that should have never been there to begin with), I have to reach out to each individual user and request co-pilot access. As an admin for a company account, I should have no restrictions whatsoever. This feature alone is causing me to look at other receipt tracking systems; one's that actually give admins admin privileges

• nlisonliso Posts: 7Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    Yes! The co-pilot function and also not being able to report out on who is a co-pilot is very frustrating for us as well. Admin should be able to set Co-Pilot Submit only access.