Deep Dive: Understanding your Expensify Card statement
The Expensify Card statement is a detailed view of individual transactions and the settlement amounts. Use the dynamic search to pull up the specific period you're looking for to see the list of Expensify Card transactions across your domain, as well as which charges each settlement was applied to. If your domain is using the Expensify Card and you have a validated Business Bank Account, you can access the Expensify Card statement under Settings > Domains > Company Cards > Reconciliation Tab > Settlements.
Understanding the Expensify Card Statement
The Expensify Card statement will show both individual transactions (debits) as well as the payments that settled them (credits). You may notice each Expensify Cardholder has a Digital Card and Physical Card in Expensify. These are treated exactly the same in terms of settlement, reconciliation, and exporting to your accounting system.
- Date: for card payments, this is the date on which the funds were debited; for card transactions, this is the date the purchase was made
- Entry ID: This is an ID number that groups card payments and card transactions. For example, if transaction A and transaction B were settled by payment C, all three entries would share the same Entry ID.
- Withdrawn Amount: only applies to card payments, this will match the amount debited from the Business Bank Account.
- Transaction Amount: only applies to card transactions, this will match the amount of the expense purchase.
- User email: only applies to card transactions, the Expensify email address of the cardholder who made the expense purchase.
- Transaction ID: This is a unique ID that will help Expensify Support locate the transaction in the event of an issue. If you need to reach out to our team, including this ID number is always really helpful!
- Transaction IDs are especially helpful when reconciling pre-authorizations. Locate the Transaction ID from the Settlements tab of the reconciliation dashboard. Then download the settlements as CSV (click Download CSV from that page), and search within that CSV for the Transaction ID to find the original purchase.
Remember, the Expensify Card statement will only show payments made from existing Business Bank Accounts that appear under Settings > Account > Payments > Business Accounts! If a Business Account was deleted, the statement will not contain data for payments made from that account.
Note on Monthly Settlement
If you have set your Expensify Card Settlement frequency to Monthly, you will only see one itemised debit per month. If you would like to see the unsettled expenses since the last settlement, you will want to use the Reconciliation Dashboard's Expenses tab.
Take note of the dates of the expenses in your last settlement above. Then, switch the Reconciliation Dashboard to Expenses and set the start date to just after the last settled expenses and the end date to today.
The Imported Total will be the amount outstanding and you can click through to see the individual expenses.
Keep in mind that if some expenses from last month took a long time to post, then they may also be outstanding still, but this method will give you a general idea of the size of your outstanding balance.