American Express not connecting since Aug 6, 2019

carnetcarnet Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hi,

My American Express Platinum business account has not been connecting since Aug 6, 2019. I have tried to search and the last message from Expensify was Aug 27th that they were looking into it. Please help! My entire company can't submit their expense report since we all use Amex.

thanks!

Answers

• scott0720scott0720 Posts: 1Expensify Customer

Its not just you. Amex states they made changes to card names etc. Expensify just hasnt fixed their end I guess... I cant file my reports either...

• carnetcarnet Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I'm not sure how to escalate this issue... I mean Amex is a major credit card company. This must be impacting a bunch of customers. Anyone from Expensify monitoring this thread can you please update us?

• claudiopalmaclaudiopalma Posts: 1Expensify Customer

I agree. This is ridiculous. If they do not resolve this issue, I will start looking at other options.

• jtalbot6911jtalbot6911 Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Has anyone seen an update on this? Unbelievable...

• bobg1966bobg1966 Posts: 1Expensify Customer
  • Amanda DeWittAmanda DeWitt Posts: 33Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach

Thanks for your patience as the team investigated this! 

There have been recent changes to your American Express card. 

AMEX has changed the way they format account names, so you'll need to re-import the account if you still show a connection issue. 

You can leave the old one in place; however, new transactions will not continue to flow in via that connection.

Note: if you do decide to remove the old connection, any unsubmitted transactions that were imported on that connection will also be removed.

• merosenbmerosenb Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

The above solution is unclear. I think you are suggesting that we create a new Connection for a US Business Platinum card in addition to the one that doesn't work. I tried that, and it doesn't work either. Honestly, this is the most shocking and unacceptable defect I have ever experienced in a platform I considered to be reputable. The one reason we decided to adopt Expensify was it's credit-card import. My AMEX import has not worked for a month and no one seems to care.

• Lauren SchurrLauren Schurr Posts: 20Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach

I'm really sorry to hear that you're still having trouble @merosenb! If you haven't already, please reach out to [email protected] so that we can do some account-specific troubleshooting!

Oh. I've done that. MULTIPLE TIMES. No human beings are available to talk with me - just ridiculous, time-wasting bots. Apparently, Expensify does not care about it's target customers - businesses like mine with 10+ users who also use the most common card in the worlkd - American Express.

• Victoria O'LearyVictoria O'Leary Posts: 40Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    Hi @merosenb

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you here. I'm pleased to see one of our Concierge team members have been in touch with you since this message and we're looking into the issue for you.

Concierge is definitely powered by humans, so please reach out to us there is you have any other account-specific questions - that way we can make sure we have the full picture when we're helping you.

Thanks!
  • STOCKAFLOCKASTOCKAFLOCKA Posts: 6Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    I had to do what Amanda said above. Make sure all expenses on the cards are marked as "submitted" otherwise you lose all the old ones!
  • Victoria O'LearyVictoria O'Leary Posts: 40Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    I'm glad to hear that worked for you @STOCKAFLOCKA

Thanks for your tip about submitting expenses - you are 100% right, and this is super important to make sure you don't lose any unsubmitted expenses if you disconnect the old connection! 
  • Kstoker979Kstoker979 Posts: 5Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    I'm having issues with reconnecting corporate Amex cards as well, and since they are Open/ Small business accounts, they are not eligible for the corporate feed. Has anyone found a resolution?

• Katie OswaltKatie Oswalt Posts: 87Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach
    Hi there, @Kstoker979 ! Just to confirm, did you try reconnecting with Amanda's instructions, above? If so, send a message to us at [email protected] with details, screenshots and/or error message you are receiving so that we can specifically address your account and what we are seeing on our end.
    Hi @Katie Oswalt, yes I've tried probably 30-40 times to reconnect the card over the last 2 weeks. I've posted this screenshot on concierge several times as well, and the latest response is that this is a known issue that has to do with a change that American Express has made on their end, that that there's nothing Expensify can do. I've been advised to just keep trying to reimport the card, or just switch to a different bank,neither suggestion is really a helpful solution. Can Expensify not reach out to someone at American Express to work out the issue related to the change that Amex made? 
  • liftoffmobile_2017liftoffmobile_2017 Posts: 5Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    Hi, we've gone through the concierge and were given the same suggestion as @Amanda DeWitt suggested and still receive the same "unknown" error. Is there a way we can escalate this issue to resolve it? This appears to have been occurring for some time now for many folks.
  • Cortney OfstadCortney Ofstad Posts: 25Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    Thanks for responding @Kstoker979 and @liftoffmobile_2017! For both of these card connections, I recommend reaching out to [email protected], as this will allow our dedicated Success Team to dive into the connections specifically and see what could be causing this issue. 
    Hi @Cortney Ofstadyes, have reached out to Concierge numerous times over the past month. I mentioned the Concierge response in my message above, which was that it was due to a change on Amex's end, and that Expensify couldn't do anything to help. Also, that I should just keep trying to reconnect, or switch bank cards. Neither suggestion is really helpful in this situation.

@Victoria O'Leary - your post above suggests that someone from the Concierge team replied to me. THEY DID NOT. NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I CONTACT THEM. This problem with AMEX has been going on for months now...MONTHS! I have recieved NO UPDATES, NO USABLE SUGGESTIONS..nothing. I am in the technology consulting business and I can tell you that based on my experience and posts above, your support effort is WORST IN CLASS. 
  • ScottRScottR Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    @Amanda DeWitt @Katie Oswalt @Isabela Stisser @David Barrett Can one of y'all please help clarify exactly what needs to be done to get our card connection fixed to import transactions again.  We had 75+ of our 200+ Amex Cards stop updating through the domain control in early November.  @Katie Oswalt and @Isabela Stisser we followed your troubleshooting instructions on one of your posts to call Amex and have them separate these cards to their own login since we had multiple card programs combined.  We also unlinked all of those 75+ cards that were no loner updating.  However now when we go into domain control and click "Import Card/Bank" and sign in to try and add the new account we get "unknown error" and we can't get the second account added.  We've tried multiple times over the last couple of days and have confirmed that we can login to Amex with the same credentials.  I have reached out to Amex and they've confirmed that there are no issues on their end and they would not prevent Expensify from pulling the transactions.  I have reached out for days now to help & concierge at Expensify and the only real feedback I'm getting is that the problem must be an Amex issue and we should just wait a couple days or WEEKS to see if it fixes itself however this is very concerning and not a sufficient answer given that in this thread it looks like people have been having this same issue unresolved for months.  After being an Expensify customer for over a year now with 200 paid users, I would at least expect to be able to get a phone call or some real effort to try and help troubleshoot and resolve this issue.  
    @carnet @claudiopalma @jtalbot6911 @bobg1966 @merosenb @STOCKAFLOCKA @Kstoker979 @liftoffmobile_2017&nbsp
    Hi y'all I saw your posts on the Expensify chain "American Express not connecting since Aug 6, 2019" and I just added a comment myself with the same exact issue.  I am wondering if any of y'all were ever able to find a solution to this problem as it looks like it was going on for a while?  
    @ScottR Hi Scott, sorry to hear you're having the same issue. There has been absolutely no headway in resolving this issue. Other than that I've just been trying to reconnect every few days, which is a terrible waste of time.
  • liftoffmobile_2017liftoffmobile_2017 Posts: 5Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    @ScottR
    We are having the exact same issue and were just on the call with the AMEX team for over an hour. They mentioned all of their feeds for any of their 3rd party connections are working fine. Without being able to get anyone at Expensify on a call, this has been the most inefficient and terrible customer experience we have encountered during my entire time working with Expensify. 

@expensifyconcierge this is becoming clearly a more widely known issue, and the Concierge team has proven to be ineffective for ALL of us to troubleshoot. I have not heard of one success story. Can someone at Expensify engineering or support escalate this matter internally? We had better support from AMEX then we have ever gotten from Expensify. Is there a real person we can reach out to? 

Many of us are getting close to month end and deadlines and this has caused a huge delay in our process. Expensify prides itself in making expense reporting easy but this has been much worse than any of the experience we have had with previous expense providers.

Can anyone from Expensify please help!?
    @ScottR The only resolution was to submit all the open expenses onto a report, delete the connection, then connect again. 

Which is ridiculous. But I'm no longer having issues. 
    Thanks for the comments @STOCKAFLOCKA @liftoffmobile_2017 @Kstoker979 .  I've tried to reach out to everyone possible at Expensify and can't get any more of a response from them which is mind blowing.  @STOCKAFLOCKA how exactly did you "delete" the connection or did this just automatically happen when you removed all of the cards?  And were you able to successfully login and add more than 1 bank feed?  We have multiple AMEX card programs and as per the Expensify instructions we separated them into different login accounts (It used to work fine with ALL card programs tied to 1 login account).  But right now we have one card feed linked to Expensify with cards that are updating but it's when I try to add a second bank login for the remaining cards that stopped updating I get the "unknown error".  
    @ScottR @STOCKAFLOCKA @Kstoker979
    We were recently playing around in the backend with importing our corporate card as a personal card via American Express US (via Account > Credit Card Import > IMport Bank/Card) it worked and we were able to see all transactions. However when we try to update the card through Domain Control, we do not have the option to import via American Express US, only American Express @Work and Small Business which does not accept our log in details. It seems like the issue is an update through Domain Control for American Express on Expensify's end since we have verified our third-party connections with American Express are still working. 

• jackadamsjackadams Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    Hi Everyone,

I am having the same issue and @expensifyconcierge has been of no help. Just telling me to keep trying to connect and hoping for the issue to resolve itself.

I had to manually import all the transactions from our amex and bypass our regular expense process to close out the month. I really don't need to pay for Expensify if that is the solution
    @ScottR Happened when I removed the cards and added them back one by one. 
    @ScottR

It's literally the solution Amanda said at the top of the thread:

Thanks for your patience as the team investigated this! 

There have been recent changes to your American Express card. 

AMEX has changed the way they format account names, so you'll need to re-import the account if you still show a connection issue. 

You can leave the old one in place; however, new transactions will not continue to flow in via that connection.

Note: if you do decide to remove the old connection, any unsubmitted transactions that were imported on that connection will also be removed.

@STOCKAFLOCKA
    do you have one amex account or many under many users? We are concerned if we turn off/delete the connection and reset it up that we will not be able to link corporate expenses to individual users but instead have them all roll up under one account.