Are you receiving SNAP/EBT benefits? The Expensify.org/SNAP-VAX campaign is live and accepting new members. Learn more about receiving $50 for submitting a SNAP receipt and $50 for getting your COVID-19 vaccine here and join today!
How-to: Enable Tax Tracking
Tax tracking can be enabled in the policy settings for any policy, whether group or individual.
- If your policy is not directly connected to an accounting system, go to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Tax to enable tax.
- If your group policy is connected to Xero, QuickBooks Online or NetSuite, make sure to first enable Tax via the connection configuration page (Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Connections > Configure) and then sync the connection. Your tax rates will then be imported.
In the tax settings, you can then:
- Add tax names, rates, and codes. If your company policy is directly connected to an accounting system, then your taxes will instead be imported from this accounting system. (These will be indicated with a logo icon for that accounting system.)
- Enable/disable the taxes you would like to make available to users
- Set a default tax for policy currency expenses and, optionally, another default tax (including exempt) for foreign currency expenses which will automatically apply to all new expenses
Setting up tax on Categories (Control Policies only)
If a particular policy currency expense type should have a different tax rate to the policy currency default set above, head to the Categories page then click Edit Rules next to the relevant category and set the Category default tax which will be applied to new expenses instead of the policy currency default.
Please note: Category default tax will only apply to policy currency expenses and will not apply to foreign currency expenses.