We are currently experiencing higher than normal support inquiries and response times. The Community is here to support you as well so please help each other out when you can. Please visit our status page to subscribe to updates.

How do I stop each expense creating a new report

Rob_PRob_P Expensify NewcomerPosts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I created a new policy recently. On all the other policies, each new expense is assigned to the open report. On the new policy, each new expense creates a new report. I can not find a setting in the policy admin that would explain this behaviour.

How can I resolve this so that the new policy assigns new expenses to the open report?

Thanks,

Rob

Answers

• ChristinaDChristinaD Expensify Success Coach Posts: 33Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

Welcome to the ExpensifyCommunity, @Rob_P! It sounds like you're referring to the Expensify's Scheduled Submit feature. Scheduled Submit has two main functions: 

• Automatically adds new expenses to the most recently edited Open report, or adds expenses to a new report if no Open report exists. 
    • Automatically submits reports based on selected timing within the policy settings.

Scheduled Submit can be configured as an individual setting or defined by an Admin as a group setting : 

• Personal Scheduled Submit is found under Settings Policies Individual > [Personal Policy Name] > Reports Scheduled Submit 
    • Company Scheduled Submit is found under Settings Policies Group > [Company Policy Name] > Reports Scheduled Submit 

Please note that if Scheduled Submit is enabled for the company Policy, it will override any personal settings. Let me know if adjusting the Scheduled Submit on the new policy does the trick!

• Rob_PRob_P Expensify Newcomer Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Thanks Christina, but I don't think that's it. For this policy, the scheduled submit is enabled at a policy level to submit by trip. As you say, it should automatically add new expenses to the most recently edited Open report, or to a new report if no Open report exists. 

However, what the users in this policy are experiencing is the system creating a new report for each expense, not adding it to the recently edited open report.

Note, we have another almost identical policy that works fine. The only difference is supposed to be the currency.

Thanks and regards,

Rob

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach Posts: 1,992Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @Rob_P, thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing the policy ID (located in the URL when you're looking at that policy's settings) or the policy name with me?

What I plan on doing is:

• Taking a look a the settings, comparing them to another policy you own and seeing if anything is out of place.
    • Then I'll take a closer look at the employees on the policy and see if they are using the policy as their account default or if they are using a different policy.
    • Look at the information on the backend about how expenses are being treated when added to the account.

Thanks so much!

• Ted PeetersTed Peeters Expensify Success Coach Posts: 308Expensify Customer, Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

@Rob_P - this policy has Policy Scheduled Submit set to create reports by trip:

By trip: Expenses are automatically added to an open report with expenses less than 2 days prior within it. Should two days elapse without a new expense being created, the report will be submitted the evening of the second day. Subsequent expenses will create a new report. (Note: the '2 day' period is a date period, not a period of 48 hours).

So, if an employee doesn't SmartScan an expense for 2 days, then the next one will create a new report, as you have it set-up to do.

Do you have an examples where this isn't the case?

What you described is the behaviour I was expecting. However, I've been told by two users that the system is creating a new report for every expense, even if added on the same day.

I'm going to test out the policy and see if I can recreate the odd behaviour, and will post back here once I see the results.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Success Coach Posts: 699Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@Rob_P Sounds good! That definitely is odd behavior based on your settings. Let us know if you are able to recreate it.