We are currently experiencing higher than normal support inquiries and response times. The Community is here to support you as well so please help each other out when you can. Please visit our status page to subscribe to updates.

Expenses for all bank accounts disappeared for all of 2017/2018

ident1714ident1714 Expensify NewcomerPosts: 7Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
  • I already imported bank transactions for all of 2017, 2018, 2019. All of them were from Bank of America. There were 3 bank accounts: 1 personal and 2 business.
  • In the filters section, there is a dropdown that defaults to ALL CARDS. This is really not a good label, because it does not contain only CARDS.... it contains all accounts including credit cards and bank accounts. Several months ago, I noticed a strange behavior that many of the bank transactions that were imported did not always show up in its expected account name in the dropdown menu. Example: instead of showing the normal label such as "BofA 1234", I noticed some actually said "<my_email_address> 1234". When I would select it, the bank transactions were there. And then when I added these transactions to a REPORT, it assigned these transactions to the default policy...and then the "<my_email_address> 1234" account would actually disappear from the dropdown menu permanently. It was as though this was some sort of sync error or something?
  • Last week, I divided hundreds of transactions between a few different reports while preparing my tax data for 2018. Then yesterday, I decided to delete those reports so that I could reclassify all the transactions into a different report (which doesn't delete the transactions...it just removes them from the reports).
  • After I deleted the 3-4 reports that I created last week, I now cannot view ANY bank account transactions that are prior to 12/31/2018!!! I am talking about hundreds and hundreds of transactions: GONE. No filter combination that I select will bring them back.
  • I have been emailing and sending help tickets to EXPENSIFY staff for nearly 36 hours and I have not received any support, whatsoever. What can be done to recover all of these transactions?

Answers

• JohnJBJohnJB Expensify Newcomer Posts: 6Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

ident1714:

Thanks for pointing out the switch to your email as identifiers for banks - that has happened in my data as well. I'd like to know what went wrong, so I can avoid losing data, too.

I don't have a clue as to how to help you, except to say look in "Deleted" expenses and reports, or try to re-import using "OFX" data from your banks.

Perhaps you should immediately email yourself PDF and Excel reports of all of your remaining Receipt Images and Data (Categories, Tags, etc.), so you can recover if it is also lost.

Good Luck,

• ident1714ident1714 Expensify Newcomer Posts: 7Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hi John,

Thanks for your kind reply, but OFX Data Import only goes back a maximum of 90 days. The data I lost dates all the way back to January 1, 2017 and goes forward to December 31, 2018. Starting on December 31, 2018 my bank account transactions are available.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach Posts: 1,992Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hello @ident1714, I appreciate you reaching out.

To start troubleshooting this I took a closer look at your account, specifically the Expenses page. From there I reset the filters completely and entered 12/31/2018 in the "To" date range field. This filtered your expenses list to show expenses dated prior to that. I then applied first the Unreported filter and then unchecked it an applied the Open filter.

I was able to find:

• Unreported card expenses: 8070 on or prior to 12/31/2018
    • Open card expenses: 2139 on or prior to 12/31/2018

Can you head to your Expenses page and take the same actions, then let me know if you locate the expenses you're looking for? If not, can you share 1 or 2 examples of the missing expenses with me? All I'll need is the merchant, date and amount. Thanks!

• ident1714ident1714 Expensify Newcomer Posts: 7Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hi Sheena,

It's not clear to me what you are seeing:

• First of all, I do not have ANY accounts that end with 8070 or 2139.
    • Second, the issues that I am reporting do not involve ANY card accounts....they only involve BANK accounts.
    • The BANK accounts that are affected end with 6629, 1860, 9440, 7877, 1200.
    • When I first reported this issue, I could see transactions for these BANK accounts only from 12/31/2018 and forward. Before this issue, there were transactions dating back to most of 2017 for these accounts.
    • About 2 days ago, I noticed strangely that "some" of the transactions had returned, but still the earliest of them was 10/15/2018. This still means that dozens and dozens of transactions for all these accounts for 2017 and 2018 are still missing.
    • To reiterate how this started, I had all of these transactions until Monday....they were contained in various reports I had created. I wanted to re-do the reports so I deleted the 3-4 reports that they were in, thinking that the normal behavior is that deleting reports doers not delete the transactions in them.
    • Also to reiterate....many of these transactions were strangely listed (several weeks ago) under account names that were not what I named them....example: one of my accounts ending in 6629 is named "BofA Checking 6629"...yet in the dropdown list I would "sometimes" see "<MyEmailAddress> 6629" instead. The transactions that were listed in this account: when I added them to the reports, that account name disappeared from there dropdown list of accounts. And has never returned.

I am desperate to fix this because October 15th is only a few days away and I am about to be forced to manually reconstructs an entire year worth of bank account data for 3-4 bank accounts. This is a nightmare, and being a paying client of Expensify I am struggling with the fact that your support team takes 3-4 days to answer my desperate cries for help.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Success Coach Posts: 699Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach
    edited October 11

Hi @ident1714! The numbers Sheena mentioned is the total number of expenses on your account. Can you reset your filters and follow the steps she sent to see if you can find these expenses?

I don't know what you guys aren't getting. I did everything she said. I should have bank account transactions for all of 2017 and all of 2018 for these accounts:

6629, 1860, 9440

Currently the earliest bank account transaction for ANY of these accounts is 10/15/2018. NO filter changes and nothing else I have tried hard changed that.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Success Coach Posts: 699Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@ident1714 Can you give me any examples including merchant, date, and amount of any of the missing expenses?

Here are some deposits posted to account -9440 during 2017:

04/10/17 2602.00

10/5/17 1599.00

12/11/17 1661.00

Here are some transactions posted to account -6629 during 2017:

02/14/17 Windstream Communications $122

8/24/17 check 2343 540.00

@ident1714 Looking at your account, I'm showing that the cards ending in 9440 and 6629 were added on 01-25-2018. I do see the same cards in the history listed as OLD that used to be on your account. Did you remove these cards? If so, were these transactions submitted at the time? If they were on a report that wasn't submitted, they would have been deleted when you removed the card.

I did NOT remove those cards!!!! Look at the ones that say 9440 NEW and 6629 NEW. Those are the ones that had all of the transactions that are missing.

@ident1714 The two that say new were both added to Expensify on 1-25-18 so they wouldn't have imported transactions from 2017. Did you update these two cards on that date?

It's possible that I "updated" them on that date.

So let's just "go with that" in order to narrow the issue. In this case, where are all the transactions for these 2 accounts "since 1/25/2018"?