ExpensifyApproved! Best Practice: Consolidated Domain Billing

Options
Maddy Lewis
Maddy Lewis Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 120 Expensify Team

If you are a scaling ExpensifyApproved! Partner and want to handle Expensify billing on behalf of your clients, this best practice guide is for you!

What is the Consolidated Domain Billing feature?

Consolidated Domain Billing is a feature you can access as long as your firm's domain has been verified.

This feature allows the Primary Domain Admin to handle the payment for all Group policies that are owned by any member of a given domain. It is useful for companies that want to have Expensify’s billing charges and billing receipts unified in one account (instead of allowing policy admins to add any payment card, which can result in non-consolidated charges and receipts). 

How do I enable Consolidated Domain Billing?

You can enable the Consolidated Domain Billing feature by following these steps:

1. Claim your Domain 
  2. Choose a “Primary Domain Admin” in the dropdown under Settings > Domains > [Domain Name] > Domain Admins
  3. Enable Consolidated Domain Billing under Settings > Domains > [Domain Name] > Domain Admins

Remember that you can adjust the Primary Domain Admin dropdown if you want to change the individual responsible for Consolidated Domain Billing.

*Note: Enabling Consolidated Domain Billing does not automatically enforce a single individual as the policy owner. If you are looking to accomplish that configuration, see the section below. 

What if my firm also wants to enforce one individual as the policy owner?

This configuration is useful if you want to enforce one user as the universal policy owner in Expensify and/or manage one subscription across all of your client policies.

To accomplish this, you’ll just need to follow these steps for each existing policy: 

1. Enable Consolidated Domain Billing. 
  2. Add one user (i.e. accounting@domain.com) as a policy admin on each client policy. 
  3. Log into the account and change policy ownership so each policy is owned by the universal policy admin (i.e. accounting@domain.com).

After going through those steps, you’ll have one policy owner for all existing client policies. 

To maintain a single policy owner configuration for all future client policies, your ExpensifyApproved! colleagues will need to click [New Policy] and enable the “Create for another account” toggle. Then, they can designate your universal policy owner as the respective owner of each new client policy (i.e. accounting@domain.com).