Billable Expenses in Expensify aren't showing as Billable in Quickbooks Desktop

Options
samiam
samiam Expensify Customer Posts: 2

The billable feature is working fine in Expensify as we can select customer, etc.

BUT...When exporting to QBs desktop the J/E in QBs the customer name is shown, but the billable check box is not shown and therefore when we run cost report or go to invoice customer these expenses are not being picked up.

We can create a manual J/E or Vendor bill in QBs and mark an expense billable if I use a customer name, so I know the feature is working in QBs - just not when we import from Expensify.

We are using the new Quickbooks Desktop export - can anyone suggest something we haven't done? (p.s. we already verified and rebuilt our data in QBs so no file corruption issues there).

Thank you...very frustrating as a good portion of our expenses are billable to a customer and we are trying to use Expensify to more readily capture the data and import into QBs.

Answers

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @samiam! That is really strange. I just tested a J/E and a vendor bill with an expense marked as billable with a customer in Expensify and in QBD, the billable checkbox was checked. Can you tell me what version of the Expensify Sync Manager you currently have? It will be in the bottom left corner.

• samiam
    samiam Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    Options

SOLVED --- so after a few frustrating hours I finally noticed that we had selected a GL account "Computer & Equipment" which was a FIXED ASSET account not the "Computer Hardware & Equipment" an EXPENSE account when doing the expense report. Fixed Asset account entries are not billable to QB only Expense Accounts, which explains why the JE wasn't showing the billable checkbox for that account.

We have of course amended our account selection in Expensify to be used on expense reports to avoid all future issues...but what a head scratcher. I needed to step away (grab a glass of wine) and when I came back had realized the naming / account type issue.

Thank you to all who read this and hope this is a teachable moment and possibly a way Expensify can flag the export so it doesn't go through thus alerting you to an issue before it get's into QBs.

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @samiam. Thank you so much for sharing your resolution! This will be super helpful for anyone else running into this error.