How-to: Create and use custom units
Expensify gives you the option to create and track custom units for any value of your choosing.
To create a custom unit, follow the steps below:
- Log into your account and navigate to Settings > Account > Preferences.
- Scroll down to Custom Unit Tracking.
- Click on "New Unit".
- On the next screen, enter a name for the unit and click "Submit".
- Finally, enter a value for the unit and click "Submit".
Now you've got a custom unit! Here's how to use your custom unit:
- Manually create a new expense from the web or mobile app.
- Enter the name of the custom unit in the "Merchant" field.
- Enter the amount of the units that you want to track in the "Total" field.
- Click "Save" to create the expense.
For example, if you wanted to track eight hours using the "Hour" unit you created, you'd enter "Hour" as the Merchant Name and "8" as the Total.
The value that you've set up for this unit will automatically be applied to the number that you enter in the "Total" field for the expense. We'll also create a comment noting the custom unit rate: