How-to: Use Paylocity to reimburse employees outside of Expensify
Expensify integrates with Paylocity using our custom export formats. To set this up, you will need to be an admin of a Control policy.
First, you’ll need to add payroll codes in Expensify. Since this is a bit complex, we’ll break this down in detail.
You’ll have to know your organization’s setup in Paylocity. As a generalized example, a basic setup for Paylocity import file includes five columns. In order (from left to right), these columns are:
- Employee # - Company defined
- Earning/Deduction Type - Use Deduction for Expense Reimbursement (Ex: D)
- Earning/Deduction Code - See the Deductions link under Payroll Setup in Paylocity (Ex: EXPNS)
- Blank Column
- In Expensify, head to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Categories.
- Enter the Earning/Deduction Code (from Paylocity) as a Payroll Code.
- Next, head to the People section of your policy editor.
- Click the settings cog to the right of the employee name.
- Enter the Employee # into one of the Custom Field columns. (It doesn't matter if you use Custom Field 1 or 2, as long as the CSV export format you create in the steps outlined below lines up with the correct one.
When you’re ready to close your payroll period and export your expense report information from Expensify to Paylocity, you’ll need to have the correct export format setup. Here’s how you create this setup in Expensify:
- Go to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Export Formats.
- Click on “New Export Format”.
- Name your new export, and then change the columns accordingly. Ensure that you enter the columns in this order so they import easily to Paylocity:
Pat yourself on the back! You did it! Now, you can export your reports using your Paylocity export format:
- On the Reports page, select the reports you’d like to export.
- At the top, click on “Export To” and select your Paylocity export file format.