FAQ - Xero: Credit Card Expenses Say 'Credit Card Misc,' Instead of the Merchant

Alejandro Paz
Alejandro Paz Expensify Team Posts: 87 Expensify Team
edited December 2019 in Integrations and API

Where the merchant in Expensify is an exact match to a contact you have set up in Xero then exported credit card expenses will show the vendor name.  If not we use the the default name Expensify Credit Card Misc. This is done to prevent multiple variations of the same contact (e.g. Starbucks and Starbucks #1234 as is often seen in credit card statements) being created in Xero.

To change merchant names to match your vendor list in Xero, we recommend using our Expense Rules feature. More information on this can be found here.

Tagged:

Comments

• ccooley
    ccooley Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Would there be any other scenario where Xero changes the merchant name to Expensify Credit Card Misc.? I have reports being submitted with a combination of reimbursable (transaction at a valid merchant) and non-reimbursable expenses (to be paid back to employees via Xero). The merchant names for the non-reimbursable expenses are entered correctly, yet Xero is still changing it to Expensify Credit Card Misc.

Would the fact the report has multiple expenses attached, and some that are reimbursable and others that are not, be the cause of this?

• Flavia Faria
    Flavia Faria Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 39 Expensify Team

Hmm, this shouldn't be influenced be the type of expenses on the report. Also I think you meant that "reimbursable" expenses will be paid back to employees? The  Expensify Credit Card Misc. update should only happen to non-reimbursable expenses. I suggest you write in to concierge@expensify.com with some specific examples so that we can look into it for you. If you can send screenshots of 1-2 reimbursable expenses in Expensify and then also in Xero it would be super helpful!