Small 2-Person Business: How Setup Expensify?

BeanoramaBeanorama Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer
edited October 2019 in Getting Started

Expensify seems like just the thing for us. But I'm having a heckuva time figuring out how to make it work.

There are only two of us. Let's call my partner The Boss. I'll be The Assistant.

The goal is for The Boss to get all her expenses to The Assistant with as little work as is humanly possible. It seems Expensify would allow her to use her phone (she does like to use her phone) to simply to take pictures of paper receipts (she does like to take pictures) and they'd all get uploaded into the Expensify cloud automagically. She'd never have to do not a danged thing at all with them forever and ever again amen.

Ah. That would be beauty.

Then The Assistant could take those receipts, add them to invoices to bill clients for reimbursement, put them in ledgers to keep the IRS at bay, plug them into budgets to forecast financials, etc., and do all those pesky bookish things The Assistant likes to do and keeps him busy and happy and with which The Boss simply can't be bothered.

But I can't figure out how to make Expensify work for us. I don't know what to sign up for or what subscription to buy. I've seen a reference to a co-pilot, which sounds promising, but can't find out how it works (and who gets to be the pilot?). I can't figure out what a policy is, but it seems important somehow.

I've been through the whole Android App, the web-based version, this community, and everything I can find. There's lots of solutions described for sole proprietors and for small businesses with employees and all. But we're not one, we're two; not three, we're just two, and we'll not be more than two. I'm not finding anyone describing our situation anywhere. Although I do sometimes like to think I'm very special, we just can't be all that different from many other people Expensify wants to sell to.

(I've asked Expensify's online support, which responded, but only with the cryptic DaVinci Code-like message: "Average of.")

Help?

Answers

• Lauren SchurrLauren Schurr Expensify Team Posts: 65 Expensify Team

Hi @Beanorama! These are excellent questions, and I'm sorry to hear that you've had a hard time finding the answers. I'd be happy to dig into things here.

First, a policy is simply a set of rules for your company. Within a policy, you can create expense rules, define approval workflows, manage integrations, configure reimbursements, and more.

If you're simply looking to track expenses to eventually export to an accounting platform, or a CSV, I'd recommend signing up for an individual subscription rather than creating a Group policy. The individual subscription gives you unlimited SmartScans and the ability to code expenses and export them.

For your particular situation, I'd also suggest the Copilot feature that you mentioned. That way, The Boss can scan an unlimited amount of receipts and The Assistant can easily switch into their account and do all of the coding necessary.

Let me know if you have other questions that haven't been answered!

• BeanoramaBeanorama Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

@LaurenS , thanks for your response.

You've suggested I use Individual accounts. If that'll work, I'd prefer it.

Since this original post I've had a couple of go-arounds with The Concierge, and it had me setup a group account, and somehow I was able to do that. (I had initially signed-up with Expensify some time ago and don't recall that I ever knew there was even a difference.) Once I setup as a group, I sent a link inviting The Boss to participate. But it hasn't shown me any of her receipts yet. And there's just a whole lot of enterprise-scale stuff in the group account that I don't want to have to wade through.

I like the idea of keeping it simple. But I don't understand how to make what you say work. How do I "switch into [The Boss'] account to do all of the coding necessary?"

(As for processing those receipts, I did see somewhere a reference to exporting expenses from Expensify. Though my "accounting" system (Freshbooks) is apparently not among the formats supported by Expensify, I expect to use a CSV file format and will work with Freshbooks support on the structure of their data to make that work.)

After more than a week of various interactions with The Concierge, it finally suggested that we use the individual Submit Plan. That seems promising and we're testing that now.

• Lauren SchurrLauren Schurr Expensify Team Posts: 65 Expensify Team

Awesome! If you need any other assistance with the Copilot feature, just let me know. Instructions for switching into another user's account can be found here.

We're not making use of the Copilot feature. We also don't want to use each other's account directly, so won't be "switching into" them. Again, we're testing the Submit Plan. So far, it's not going well, and still trying to figure out why it's not working.

• Michelle NiemiMichelle Niemi Expensify Team Posts: 67 Expensify Team
    Hi @Beanorama! In order for each of you to have your own accounts but also be able to submit to each other for approval or visibility, you will need to create a Group Policy. However, if you simply want to send your reports to your Boss you can use the Submit Plan. This plan is basically for the employee to simply send their boss the report. 

Here's what I recommend for new users:

Self-paced learning:

Expensify-hosted Webinar:

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to reach back out though! That's what I'm here for!