Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

Expense Submission Reminders

akulakdigitalisakulakdigitalis Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Expensify should have an option for the policy administrator to set up expense reimbursement reminders to people automatically a couple of days before an expense report is due. I have constant policy violators that don't submit expenses on time, especially when they haven't even drafted expenses and therefore the reports don't automatically submit. Or the report auto submits but items are missing descriptions, receipts, etc.

4 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Cortney OfstadCortney Ofstad Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 105 Expensify Team

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your idea! With our Scheduled Submit feature, this will automatically submit reports so employees don't have to be reminded to send in their reports — Concierge handles it for them!

However, one thing to note is that with Scheduled Submit, any expenses that have violations will be moved to another report until the violations are cleared. The report creator/employee will receive a notification to let them know that expenses are awaiting their action in both their email (based on the Contact Preferences selected) and within their Inbox page. The email reminder is sent every Monday and the Inbox reminder will stay until the violations are cleared and/or the report is submitted.

Thanks again, if you have any questions about Scheduled Submit, or about report submission, feel free to reach out to our team at [email protected] at anytime!

• akulakdigitalisakulakdigitalis Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

But what about someone that forgets to populate any expenses at all! then their report won't be autosubmitted since nothing is there. I want a reminder for these people to actually enter their expenses in expensify ON TIME. We also require descriptions on all expenses that isn't a policy violation in expensify.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 497 Expensify Team

Hi @akulakdigitalis. Because we have no way of knowing if a user has expenses that haven't been entered yet, we don't have a way to create a reminder for this. While we do send reminders when a report contains violations that need to be corrected but if there are no expenses we have no way of sending a reminder.

• akulakdigitalisakulakdigitalis Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Why can't you just send a reminder to all members in the policy?

• Greg SchroederGreg Schroeder Expensify Team Posts: 49 Expensify Team

Hi @akulakdigitalis! Hmm; that could be feasible for folks who have trouble creating their expense reports in the first place, but could also turn into an annoyance for those who are handling their business on time. There's definitely some nuance when it comes to broad reminder systems.

To be clear, if Scheduled Submit is enabled, expenses will be automatically added to expense reports as they're created in Expensify. So, for those folks who don't add expenses to their reports manually, Scheduled Submit could be the solution for reporting in addition to automatic submission.

With all of that said, ultimately, if a critical mass of customers decide that a reminder system in the vein you proposed would be beneficial, we'll look into it - so it was a great first step to create this conversation in the Ideas category.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• Ryan_CRyan_C Expensify Customer Posts: 1

To follow on what was being discussed above, if I get the Collect account, can I send a reminder to my staff to complete the expense report prior to travel? For example, send them a reminder on Thurs for travel Fri-Sun.

• KW123KW123 Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Additionally -- please let us turn off the weekly reminders to submit. I have expenses that automatically hit on the first of the month but I'm not SUPPOSED to submit them until the end of the month. I hate getting so many extra emails from Expensify telling me that action is needed when it is NOT needed yet and in fact taking that action now would be WRONG.

Note: my company does not use Scheduled Submit because people simply can't be trusted to have input all of their expenses properly (or at all) as they occurred; they need to review the report before it is submitted whether or not it contains "violations", or we just end up with extra out-of-process and backdated reports whenever they get around to fixing the issues. We tried it, and it didn't work for us.

As both an admin and an expense submitter with what I think is a fairly common monthly-reimbursement cycle, what I want to receive (and what I want my users to receive) is:

• One OPTIONAL reminder on or around the 27th of the month (ideally, each individual could set this date themselves and/or opt out of this reminder entirely) reminding us to make sure they have input all expenses for the month.
    • One non-optional reminder on the 1st of the month reminding all users to submit last month's expenses.
    • If there are any outstanding expenses/reports not submitted *that are dated LAST month*, send continued reminders to submit the report. Again, ideally we would be able to customize this cadence on an individual basis or at least on a policy basis.
    • Do NOT ever remind users to submit any expenses with a this-month date!!

I'm seeing conversations here dating back to 2018, complaining about the inaccurate and annoying weekly reminders. Most of us do not reimburse on a weekly schedule! Will this ever be fixed?

• Stevie LaFortuneStevie LaFortune Expensify Team Posts: 172 Expensify Team

@KW123 Welcome to the community! The more clear examples and use cases provided the better - thanks for taking the time to clearly share yours!