How can I stop an expense being altered after approval?

RochelleRochelle Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hi, we have Expensify connected to QuickBooks online. It appears that an expense can be amended AFTER it has been approved and sent to QBO resulting in QuickBooks not holding the correct figures. Is there any way to prevent changes to approved expenses?

thanks.

Answers

• Conor PendergrastConor Pendergrast Posts: 70Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach

Hey Rochelle, once a report has been final approved, only a Policy Admin can edit the expense. In general, that's there to recognise that mistakes can happen which still need to be corrected in Expensify. Are you seeing trouble with Policy Admins editing expenses after they've been synced to QBO?

Thanks!

Conor

• RochelleRochelle Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hi Conor,

Thank you for your response. We had an incident recently whereby one of my own expenses was approved, synced with QBOs then subsequently amended by the approver (who is not a policy admin) causing a discrepancy between the QBO records and Expensify. I would not have thought this was allowable as it is open to serious abuse.

Rachel

• Christina DobryzynskiChristina Dobryzynski Posts: 85Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    Very interesting, @Rochelle. I'd love to dig deeper into this! Could you please send me the Report ID for the report in question? Report IDs are unique numbers that can be found on the top left-hand side of each report. Thanks in advance!
  • RochelleRochelle Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    Hi @Christina Dobryzynski .  The report ID is 52678216.  I can see under the report history and comments where the report has been amended after export.  Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
  • Jeremy BonifaceJeremy Boniface Posts: 19Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    Hi @Rochelle,

This was allowed because the user who approved the report was still in control of it, and reports that have been approved are editable by the approver when they're still in control of the report.

The best way to manage this without changing your workflow would be to train your approvers not to make edits after approval.

As for a product-based solution, I'd suggest considering adding one more approval step, so that middle approvers are not in control of the report after their approval.

Typically, this would be done by having them Approve to an accounting alias like [email protected], who would then perform the final approval.