Company Card Webinar - FAQs

Options
Sonia Liapounova
Sonia Liapounova Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 210 Expensify Team
edited November 2021 in Webinars

Here's a selection of common questions from our Company Card webinar!

Can I assign a card to a user on a public domain like gmail.com?

No, you can only assign cards to users on a private domain. Since we can't validate public domains like gmail.com, it's not possible to assign a card to someone only using a Gmail address. If the person is associated with a validated domain (like perhaps they are a contractor), one option would be to create an email address on the domain for them. Otherwise, the only other option would be to ask them to add the card as a personal card instead. 

I'm an accountant with clients across several domains - which domain do I validate?

If you need to assign cards and you not a member of the private domain, such as an accountant, you will need to become a domain admin by validating the domain. You'll want to validate each domain for which you need to assign company cards! Keep in mind, you can validate as many domains as you need to! 

How can I avoid duplicates when exporting credit card transactions to my accounting integration?

We recommend exporting the transactions from Expensify first and then accepting the transactions from your bank register second. That will allow the expenses to merge! 

What are Domains and why do I need it to use company cards?

Domains is the feature that allows you to centrally assign, manage, and reconcile company cards. If you are a member of a private domain, you do not need to validate the domain to use the company card feature. Some cards can be imported through Account Settings but most company cards are only available under Domains settings.

What is the difference between the 2 different types of company card options in Domains, the commercial card feed, and the direct bank connection?

The Direct Bank Connection is a connection set up with your login credentials for that account while the Bank Feed is set up by your bank where the bank requests Visa/MasterCard/Amex to send a daily transaction feed to Expensify. The former can be done without the assistance of your bank or Expensify, but the latter will require help from your bank and our Customer Success team. Information on how to set up a commercial card feed can be found under the link for your specific set od ca: Amex, MasterCard, Visa

Is it okay if the same card is under Credit Card Import (imported via a user's personal account settings) and Domains? Will duplicate expenses come in?

Having the same card imported twice will create duplicates. If you're switching from having the cards assigned under Account Settings to having them assigned from Domains then you'll want to make sure that all outstanding expenses are submitted on the card assigned under Account Settings, have the user remove the card, and have a Domain Admin assign it in Domains with the "import date" set to the date after the last expense that was submitted from the card assigned under Account Settings.

My commercial card feed has been set up. What if the specific card is not coming up when I try to assign it to an employee?

Cards will appear in the drop-down as soon as they are activated and have at least one posted transaction. If the card is activated and has been used for a while and you're still not seeing it, please send a message to concierge@expensify.com.

If we have multiple locations with separate email addresses, will we need a separate Domains entry for each email domain? Example - @mybusinesscorp, @location1, @location2.

That's correct. Cards can only be assigned to users with email addresses on the domain to which the cards were added, so you will want to take control of all of your domains.

We have credit cards from 2 different banks, is that a problem?

No problem! You can link as many banks or card programs as you need.

Is there a setup fee?

Nope! Company cards come at no extra cost and are a part of the Corporate policy pricing.

What if an employee accidentally uses a company card for a personal purchase?

You will still want them to submit the expense, making sure to mark it as "reimbursable", so that cards can be reconciled correctly. However, you will want to decide internally what to do in your accounting system based on how it impacts your books.

Can the employee delete an expense?

If this is a card expense, it depends on whether you are using Corporate or Personal liability. Corporate liability will prevent deletion, and Personal liability will allow them to delete. You can find more on our Community post about managing card preferences

How do I reconcile company card transactions?

Our Reconciliation Dashboard can help you to reconcile all card expenses across the entire domain, for any set of dates. This will save you many headaches trying to get reports to match precisely to your statement dates. 
Tagged: