Need a way to set the default report

LHarringtonLHarrington Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
As the title says, users need the ability to designate a default / placeholder report for all new expenses/receipts coming in, so that they can go through and address them one by one within the report before filing them into various other official reports that will be submitted.

This should be a given, actually, and I'm baffled by the fact that it's something Expensify wants people to request and vote on in a forum when it SHOULD be a basic part of the system already. It's extremely unprofessional to not have this ability and to simply have expenses be randomly dropped into the last edited open report. I see requests for this feature going back for at least a year, which is absurd. 

To clarify, I don't want expenses to not be added at all (which makes the "disable scheduled submit" option worthless). I want the option of filtering all new incoming expenses to a SPECIFIC placeholder report so that they can be addressed one at a time from there.
2 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• BrianAtBunkeyBrianAtBunkey Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Completely agree. This is basic - should have been included in the first version.

And let's be honest, this would take a developer about 2 hours to code/test...come on Expensify!

• Jeremy BonifaceJeremy Boniface Expensify Team Posts: 80 Expensify Team

Thanks for writing in! It sounds like you want one holding report that you can then use to direct expenses to other reports. To achieve this, I'd recommend using an Expense Rule with the wildcard option (a single period, which means "all expenses") in the "When merchant name contains field:"then in the "Add to a report named" field add the title for the report you want to accumulate all expenses. Here's how I'd set it up:

This way, we'll always add your expenses to the report called Holding Report. If Holding Report doesn't exist, we'd create it for you.

Hope this all makes sense -- let me know if you have other questions!