Create custom expense field

MudMonkeyMudMonkey Posts: 9Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
Hi I would like the ability to create custom expense fields so I can automate an export to my accounting software. I know you can create a custom report but most of the fields are empty as there is no way to enter a custom field.  Thanks MM
0 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Posts: 893Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    Hi @MudMonkey Welcome to the Expensify Community!

There are a couple of custom fields you can use, and report fields. Can you tell me a little more about what you need these fields for and I can potentially give you some info on how to set them up?

If nothing else, it will give me a use case to fully understand what you're requesting here! 😀 
  • MudMonkeyMudMonkey Posts: 9Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    Hi Rachel, thanks for the response.   

I've created two tags one called Type which allows the user to select either Payment or Refund. These work as expected.   I also created another Tag called VAT which allows the user to select either 20 or 0.  If the user selects 20 it works as expected but if the user select 0 it returns the following error within the expense.  'A Missing a required tag'  (see below)

Any help gratefully received.

MM

• Conor PendergrastConor Pendergrast Posts: 77Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    Hey @MudMonkey, before we look at that, can you let me know if there's a reason to not use the tax tracking that's built-in to Expensify? That's probably going to work a lot easier here! 

And, what is the value of the Type field? Surely any positive expense (greater than zero) is a payment, and any negative expense (less than zero) is a refund? 
    Hi @Conor Pendergrast

The value of the type field is purely to return the 'Payment' value for the system integration report. Refund is unlikely to be used. 

I tried tax tracking, but it isn't working as it should do from following the instructions on the website.  A tax of 20% on a £100 expense is returning the value of £16.67 in the tax field.  I've raised an issue with expensify. 

I thought I had a workaround using tags and it does work for the report but produces the missing tag error

MM

• Jeremy BonifaceJeremy Boniface Posts: 27Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    @MudMonkey Thanks for the extra detail! Regarding tax tracking, in Expensify, the total amount should include the tax, so the number we're spinning out there is correct -- 16.67 is 20% of 83.3, which totals to $100. In other words, the value in the amount field should be the total including the tax, not the value prior to the application of the tax. 

Regarding the template itself, are you building this for use with the API, or you building the template using our custom export formats feature? I think we could create a template for you that checks if the amount is positive or negative, then automatically applies "Payment" or "Refund" to the desired output column -- no tag field required! For help with this, please write in to [email protected] and refer back to this thread. 
    edited November 25
    Hi @Jeremy Boniface   I have just understood the Tax system works on Expensify.  Unfortunately, the UK Tax system doesn’t work like the US system.  VAT is included in the total cost of the expense e.g.  If my expense is £100 then I would expect the VAT tax column to return £20 of tax to align to the relevant receipt. 
    If my receipt is for £100 I can’t put in £120 for a £100 receipt (hope that makes sense).  I’m surprised none of your UK customers has picked this up as it’s a fundamental part of UK accounting practice.  Equally sometimes on expense receipts, some items are zero-rated and some are full VAT (20%) and need to split the VAT accordingly.  

I've emailed [email protected] and they state the 0 is a glitch/bug in the system.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Posts: 893Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    edited November 25
    Hi @MudMonkey, I'm based in NZ so our tax system is virtually a carbon copy of yours (go the colonies!!)
    If your receipt is £100 it would already include the VAT. Unless it's a VAT exclusive receipt.
    So if you put in the Net amount of £100 and tell us the tax rate is 20%, we calculate the total before VAT + the tax component, which adds up to £100.
    If the receipt does not include VAT then it would be zero-rated and you would have a £0 tax rate applied.
    So what happens when a receipt has more than one tax rate? You need to Split it.
    Say you have coffee at £4 inclusive and bread at £2 zero-rated. You would split the expense into £4 and £2 and only apply the VAT rate to the £4 component. 
    We don't SmartScan the tax on your receipts, we use the tax rate to work backwards from the inclusive total, so you will need to make sure that any receipts with multiple tax rates in play are split into two expenses with different tax rates.
    Does that all make sense?
    Hi @Rachael Hopkins,  it makes sense (and the colonies comment made me smile :-),  so can you use the Tax functionality on expensify as it doesn't look like it?

Thanks MM
  • Ted HarrisTed Harris Posts: 335Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach
    Hi @MudMonkey, I'm not quite sure I'm following here. In the UK, your receipts should really all be inclusive of VAT. You've said this yourself:
    Unfortunately, the UK Tax system doesn’t work like the US system.  VAT is included in the total cost of the expense e.g.  If my expense is £100 then I would expect the VAT tax column to return £20 of tax to align to the relevant receipt. 
    However, that's now how inclusive VAT works. A £100 expense that had VAT included on it would result in two portions:
    • Net amount (excluding VAT): £83.33
    • VAT (@ 20%): £16.67
    • Gross amount (including VAT): £100
    This is how the tax is calculated in Expensify right now, so you're good to go in the UK. If you have an instance where this isn't covered, please outline it for us and we'll do our best to figure out the best course of action for you.
    Thanks that's useful. MM