How-to: Set up and manage multi-level tagging
Multi-level tagging is available for companies on Group policies, and is intended to additional information at the expense line-item level. If you need more than one level of tags available to assign to expenses, you'll want to configure multi-level tags on your policy.
You can enable multi-level tagging on your policy via the Tags tab and toggling "Do you want to use multiple levels of tags?" to enabled.
Setting up your tags
How you set up tags will depend on whether you want to use Independent or Dependent tags and whether you choose to capture GL codes. If you're not sure which type of tags you need, ask yourself: Would you like your second tag, say ‘Project’, to populate different options depending on the first tag, say ‘Department’ selection?
If the answer to that question is yes, you'll want to set up Dependent Tags.
- To set up Dependent Tags with captured GL codes, use this file as a template to build your tags: Dependent with GL Codes
- To set up Dependent Tags with no GL codes, use this file as a template to build your tags: Dependent with no GL Codes
If you don't need tags to be dependent on each other, you'll want to set up Independent Tags.
- To set up Independent Tags with captured GL codes, use this file as a template to build your tags: Independent with GL Codes.
- To set up Independent Tags with no GL codes, use this file as a template to build your tags: Independent with No GL Codes.
Importing your Tags
- Download the correct CSV/TSV file from the list above
- Complete the file by filling out your Tags and GLs, if applicable.
- On the web, navigate to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Tags
- Click the toggle button to enable multi-level tags. Then click Import from Spreadsheet to import your CSV. For more information on configuring the import details, check out this Deep Dive.
Managing multi-level tags
If you need to edit your multi-level tags, you'll need to make any edits on the spreadsheet you used to originally upload the Tags and re-import that file.
You'll have the option to enable and disable independent tags. Just click Edit Tag to toggle the slider bar to green to enable the tag (i.e. make the tag visible to employees when coding expenses), and to grey to disable the tag.