Are you receiving SNAP/EBT benefits? The Expensify.org/SNAP-VAX campaign is live and accepting new members. Learn more about receiving $50 for submitting a SNAP receipt and $50 for getting your COVID-19 vaccine here and join today!
How-to: Set up and manage multi-level tagging
Multi-level tagging is available for companies on Group policies, and is intended to additional information at the expense line-item level. If you need more than one level of tags available to assign to expenses, you'll want to configure multi-level tags on your policy.
How set up tags will depend on whether you want to use Independent or Dependent tags and whether you choose to capture GL codes. If you're not sure which type of tags you need, ask yourself: Would you like your second tag, say ‘Project’, to populate different options depending on the first tag, say ‘Department’ selection?
- If yes, you'll want to use to capture GL codes associated with your tags, use this file: Dependent with GL Codes. If you don't need to capture GL codes, use this file: Dependent with No GL Codes.
- If no, then you'll want to choose independent tags. To capture GL codes associated with your tags, use this file: Independent with GL Codes. If you don't need to capture GL codes, use this file: Independent with No GL Codes.
Setting up multi-level tagging
- Download the correct CSV/TSV file from the list above
- Complete the file by filling out your Tags and GLs, if applicable.
- On the web, navigate to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Tags
- Click the toggle button to enable multi-level tags. Then click Import from Spreadsheet to import your CSV. For more information on configuring the import details, check out this Deep Dive.
Managing multi-level tags
If you need to edit your multi-level tags, you'll need to make any edits on the spreadsheet you used to originally upload the Tags and re-import that file.
You'll have the option to enable and disable independent tags. Just click Edit Tag to toggle the slider bar to green to enable the tag (i.e. make the tag visible to employees when coding expenses), and to grey to disable the tag.