Please Add Ability to Copy / Duplicate an Expense

malcolmeatonmalcolmeaton Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Something that would be immensely helpful to me is the ability to copy/duplicate an expense.

I travel to the exact same client often and need the exact same per diem often, just with a different date.

I know you can have rules, but I still have to go in create the expense and add a lot of the same information. I would love to copy and paste 6 times, change to grid mode and just update the dates.

This seems like really basic functionality. Am I just missing something?

141 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

We're starting to see a bit of momentum for this idea. If you support it, don't forget to vote for it! Also, feel free to share this post with team members and peers who also use Expensify.

Comments

• tylerzolltylerzoll Posts: 437Approved! Accountant Expensify Champion
    edited December 2017

@malcolmeaton - You and I must have been thinking about the same thing today. I just posted this in the Ideas section before I saw your idea. I was able to remove the post, so I will post what I wrote here instead:

Our company gives employees a monthly cell phone allowance that is a set amount each month. Currently I have a Journal Entry in Netsuite that automatically occurs on the first of the month and credits AP and debits the Cell Phone Expense Account. I wish there was a way that I could do this in Expensify rather than NetSuite so that I could continue using the reimbursement out of Expensify. Right now it is easier to reimburse out of NetSuite since I group any reimbursable expenses with the the cell phone allowance. It seems to me that a significant portion of the automatic report generation features could be used to make this work.

Another use case for me is that I have a Board of 18 directors and about 300 volunteers that all have expenses from their attendance at meetings. If I could set something like this up, I could automatically add their per-diem and other set amounts to their expense report.

• AussiebanditAussiebandit Posts: 399Expensify Customer Expensify Champion

@malcolmeaton - I too agree that this would be a good idea.

• cgriellcgriell Posts: 13Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I just started with Expensify 3 months ago. I was searching precisely an automatic duplication of fixed, monthly expenses and I was surprised not to find it as an option in the expenses

• feebstarrfeebstarr Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I would really like to see a copy or duplicate function! I travel and park at a number of locations and it would be a great time saver if I was able to duplicate an existing expense and just simply change the date field. thanks!

• markwmarkw Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

+1 this would be useful functionality.

• LauraNLauraN Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Yes! I just posted a similar idea! I constantly drive back and forth to the same client sites, and it would be so much easier to just duplicate the same trip multiple times, rather than having it create each one separately.

• EricHEricH Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I have been suggesting this for many years.

• im2ofthemim2ofthem Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Please add this. It's surprising that it's not a basic feature.

• dominic_75013dominic_75013 Posts: 0Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I have seen many questions on this, so I know that having a monthly recurring expense option would be very helpful. Many users have expenses like cell phone, internet or other similar items that bill every month at the same dollar amount.

• michelleSmichelleS Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

This should be added as soon as possible. Most lines of business have reoccurring cost that is the same per month. For example my electronic sig fee and cell phone allotment>>>>>> TIme Saver, please ADD.

• TFICGTFICG Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

am also surprised this is not a basic feature. Please add asap

• ShriShri Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

+1 for this feature

• PC_Pretorius_375PC_Pretorius_375 Posts: 5Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Great Idea I vote for it.

• RoibnGroeneveltRoibnGroenevelt Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Use cases:

• Home rent that I need to declare every month
    • Receipts I'm not sure that I receive every month
  • Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Posts: 979Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach

Actually I'd like to add my two cents worth - in NZ if you have a recurring Invoice, the creditor only has to supply you with the first one. This would be great in that situation when you have a recurring invoice, but only one actual paper invoice to accompany it.

• TIMGTIMG Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
  • Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 2,060Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@TIMG - If you'd like to support this, please don't forget to vote for it at the top of this thread!

• barbara226barbara226 Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Absolutely- I frequently travel to the same client- adding in the mileage expense would be better if I could copy from one visit to the next. Additionally, I have recurring expenses for cell phone, wifi, etc. that would be much easier to manage if I could copy.

• ErMigueSFErMigueSF Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
  • aaronjcaaronjc Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Seems like an obvious function to include?! I was surprised this isn't already supported. Please add!

• GarrettFarmerGarrettFarmer Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Have loads of recurring expenses and would like to just duplicate and change the date

• gnpbgnpb Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I have recurring monthly expenses that should be able to be entered automatically, or a menu item in add multiple to duplicate monthly on the same date. Also, once I enter an expense and then split it, it would be nice to be able to permanently delete the original expense entry, since it becomes redundant.

• Renee_AuRenee_Au Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

When you do finally add this (definitely useful!), PLEASE ensure the ability to permanently delete is also included in this dev work.

• klinnellklinnell Posts: 6Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I agree! Many of our consultants travel week over week with the same per diem/mileage entries and it would be helpful to be able to just copy the expenses.

• RJerryRJerry Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

+1, major missing feature

• JulieannPinaJulieannPina Posts: 15Approved! Accountant Expensify Newcomer

We also have this need. The details vary depending on circumstances in each region, but we have people all over the country who repeat aspects of their spending behavior. Please add. And include the ability to adjust another field, not just the date. For example, someone who drives to collaborators every Tuesday. Might not be the same distance but everything else is the same.

• jhinckleyjhinckley Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

+1. I travel between the same sites multiple times per week that I need to duplicate the mileage. Thanks!

So I've been enlightened this week and discovered the copy report feature. I'm interested to see if anyone else here has used that feature. Don't get me wrong, I still like the idea and would like for it to be implemented, but I didn't realize that you could copy a report and the non company credit card expenses would be copied as well.

• christinaLchristinaL Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

i vote for this idea