Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status (updated April 3, 2020) 

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep our fund moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that’s submitted per our instructions. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Please Add Ability to Copy / Duplicate an Expense

Comments

• Brian902Brian902 Expensify Customer Posts: 1
  • PhilmanPhilman Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    This feature should be a table stake feature for any expense app.  No matter your role, if you have expenses you will do the same expense more than once.  For me in sales I drive to the same customers and the same airport multiple times a month.  I should be able to save these and reuse with only a change of date, or at a minimum copy the expense so I only have to enter all the detail once each month.
  • TeeKayTeeKay Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    I agree Philman. This is basic functionality for any expense app. This suggestion has been here for more than 2 years now. I don't think Expensify cares to add it.
  • Lauren ReidLauren Reid Expensify Team Posts: 40 Expensify Team
    Hi Folks 👋🏽
    Thanks for your feedback here. Please continue to upvote this idea, so we can gather a sense of how many users would find this functionality helpful. Thanks! 
  • thekingofspainthekingofspain Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    My company is going to drop expensify for another product if this feature is not implemented soon.  It takes to long to create daily commuting expenses like mileage, tolls, transits tickets, etc.  I went to location x on days 1,2,3,4,5 ,8,9,.. @ n miles and $ in tolls is a real pia.  
  • trowe7trowe7 Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    PLEASE ADD RECURRING EXPENSES!!!!  Simple, easy and your customers obviously have a need.
  • StephanieTStephanieT Approved! Accountant Posts: 2
    As the other users have requested, please add the ability to copy/duplicate expenses and/or create recurring expenses.  Our clients who use Expensify have requested this functionality.
  • ChaysefromLibertasChaysefromLibertas Expensify Customer Posts: 1
  • Maddy LewisMaddy Lewis Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 58 Expensify Team
    @trowe7 - Awesome! Please upvote this idea by clicking the "Vote Up" option on the original post. This will help us better understand how many users would find this functionality helpful. Thanks! 
  • KrisYKrisY Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    if you sent a survey out to current users who do not look at this community I would expect you to receive a large amount of users replying back how helpful this would be
  • SamuilSamuil Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    Yes! Please add this feature ASAP. I can't believe that this post was created two years ago and feature is still not available after such high interest.
  • JC22JC22 Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    This is exactly what I want. The ability to duplicate mileage entries and change the date would save bunch of time. 
  • Maddy LewisMaddy Lewis Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 58 Expensify Team
    @JC22 - Sweet deal! Please upvote this idea by clicking the "Vote Up" option on the original post. Thanks a ton!
  • JC22JC22 Expensify Customer Posts: 2
  • CCarltonCCarlton Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    This is a much need function many of your competitors have this feature to help clients complete their expenses. 
  • WooHooWuWooHooWu Expensify Customer Posts: 13 Expensify Admirer
    As somebody else pointed out, it has been over two years since this Idea first came up and now has 158 votes. What are the next steps? Will we ever see this implemented?
    @WooHooWu - Yep, I totally hear you on that one! This is (and has been) on our radar. My support team is currently discussing this feature request across other teams. I don't have a solid idea of when this will be released, but as soon as I have some more solid information, I'll be sure to share it with our broader customer base. 

Thanks for being patient! 
  • SynchroBrianSynchroBrian Expensify Customer Posts: 1

+1 voting to prioritize this feature. I want the ability to create an expense and mark it recurring (monthly at minimum, but other frequencies should be considered as well). I would then attach the receipt manually to the expense before submitting my report. Thank you!

• nealbwsnealbws Expensify Customer Posts: 1

+1 as we have several memberships that bill monthly.

• John SchusterJohn Schuster Expensify Team Posts: 24 Expensify Team

Hey there, @nealbws! Thanks for raising your voice on this idea; it's great to have you join the conversation!

It looks like you might be a new member of the forum (Welcome!) so I wanted to suggest heading back to the first page of this discussion to upvote the request.

Casting your vote on an idea helps us gauge the demand for it, which in turn helps us keep our roadmap current with today's needs.

Thanks!

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,040 Expensify Team
    edited February 17

Hello everyone, I'd like to get some transparency happening here and open the floor for comments please!

The use-cases for this Idea seem to mostly revolve around using a Copy Expense feature to create recurring expense place-holders and copy receipts for mileage.

I would like to get more feedback on why this is necessary in light of the following:

• Let's focus on quality of data and best practices, rather than simple expediency. 
    • It's not the best practice to copy a receipt image to a different expense, which runs the risk of a user forgetting to update the receipt in future and opens the Policy owner up to potential audit and fraud issues. So we won't be going there.
    • Keep in mind that an entire report can already be duplicated, and this copies all expenses including mileage (sans receipts), so this can be harnessed right now by creating a template report for copying purposes. Would it be helpful to have a guide on how to achieve this? [Edit: Simple guide created!]
    • Recurring expenses seem to be a major part of this Idea, and we'd like to keep that separate for now and look at building out a proper solution for this, rather than a quick n dirty solution of just copying one expense lots of times. So let's park those over here.

Right now, we're leaning towards a Copy Expense feature not being a good fit for the product. The existing Copy Report feature seems more practical and logical, and also less risky.

I’m a big fan of healthy debate and being well-informed, so please do add your comments. I'll be keeping this open for a couple of weeks, and then if we make a final decision that this is not the right path forward, we'll be closing it down in favour of building Recurring Expenses.

I look forward to everyone's insight!

• MarkymarkMarkymark Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

How about listening to the users of the product? There is no image in a mileage expense, and copying a report is not what is required.

Rather than suggesting that people don’t know how to use it and publishing a guide, why not implement the feature as requested? This really cannot be that difficult to do.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,040 Expensify Team

Hi @Markymark thanks for your feedback.

What I'm actually looking for is guidance as to why copying a single expense, one time, is required.

Are you able to give a real-life example of where this would be used?

Expensify's philosophy is always about keeping the software as simple as possible. So we take every request very seriously and weigh up the long-term effects and the necessity of each enhancement.

I travel to work. I don’t travel there every day. I travel there several times a month, and to other locations. I want to be able to quickly copy and paste the single entry multiple times in a single report.

There is no fraud potential here. It would save me a whole load of time.

i have other expenses which I would also like to copy, which are fixed amounts but require receipts. If I could copy and paste these then all I have to do is add the scanned receipt each time.

At the moment this adds a lot of time using expensify and my life would be made far simpler if I could copy and individual expenses and duplicate it in the existing report.

Thanks @Markymark! Given that when you SmartScan a receipt, it creates the expense for you, can you elaborate on why you would need to copy them before the receipts are in? - Is it simply for your own cash management/cash flow projections, or peace of mind, or something else?

For the mileage, is each trip consistent i.e. recurring, or is it a little more sporadic?

We want to make sure we're not just giving people a 'faster horse' here, and really grasp the underlying motivator for this!

This is becoming irritating.

The journey is the same each time. My house and place of work don’t change.

Please just make it easy to copy and paste an expense. There should be enough on this thread to make it clear that people need it. If it is too hard to do in the platform then just let everyone know that. It has been requested for over two years and is one of the most requested features, if not the most requested feature. That should tell you something.

Or, frustrate your users by parking recurring and kicking it downstream, and then try and convince your users that they should be doing their workflow differently. It’s your choice.

Smartscan is slow and inaccurate, and if I am filling in an expense claim to get it done then I don’t necessarily have time to wait for smartscan.

Thanks @Markymark I'm sorry that it's frustrating, but we don't add features solely because they have been requested, or because people want to use Expensify differently to how it is designed.

For example, SmartScan is designed to use as soon as you incur an expense, not at the last minute. By the time you get to the point of submitting a report, the expenses should all be there, SmartScanned, ready for you. Early and often, is how Expensify is designed to be used.

So really the use case I'm hearing here, is solely for ad-hoc mileage expenses.

To be fair it doesn’t really seem like you add features full stop. It has been more than two years...

It would be great if you could add the ability for mileage expenses to be copied and pasted/ duplicated. That would be a start.

If you genuinely never thought that people may do the same trip multiple times on an adhoc basis then I can see how this was an oversight.

I understand how you intend smartscan to be used, but as someone who manages a team of sales people that use expensify it just doesn’t match reality. It isn’t really appropriate after a business dinner to grab your phone and start taking pictures, or to stand in the street taking a picture of your taxi receipt when you are In transit and rushing to get to the next meeting. So, inevitably some receipts will, in fact, be scanned in ‘down time’, which is precisely when I encourage my team to get on top of their admin and get their expenses in.

You have a good product, but you need to be quicker at responding to requests that are seemingly basic functionality. If you have a better way for users to advocate how the product is used in real life than this forum then let me know and I will gladly contribute.

• user123user123 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    We use multiple tags on our expenses to track items such as address, class, project, type, etc. There are literally thousands of different variations for these tags. It would make things much faster if we could just copy an expense with most of the same tags. Report templates do work for a lot of our expenses but there are still a lot of one-offs.

Also, yes please continue pushing forward with recurring expenses for mileage and per diem.