Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

We're currently experiencing issues with our American Express and Capital One connections. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Please Add Ability to Copy / Duplicate an Expense

1235»

Comments

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 655 Expensify Team

Thanks @user123 one other thing in the Idea pipeline is policy-level expense rules, where the Admin can set the coding based on Merchant name.

At present, these can be set at the user level, but only against the user's default Policy.

Do you think this would work better? It would mean that the coding is set as soon as the expense is SmartScanned, so in theory it would be less work, as it would magically apply without copying anything. Particularly if the coding was subsequently changed, which would not be reflected copying old expenses.

• evgeniya_aevgeniya_a Expensify Customer Posts: 16 Expensify Newcomer

Hello!

Just wanted to note a couple things on the recent discussion:

1. How is copying an entire report safer & a better practice than copying a single transaction? If fraud risk is a reason Expensify doesn't want to implement copying of a single expense, then copying a report runs the exact same risk. Can an expense not be duplicated without copying the attached receipt? Or, does Expensify not notify users of potential duplicated expenses? Lastly, reports differ quite a bit - sometimes there will be 1 item, sometimes 100. Copying a report can create more work by having to delete items, should the user want to exclude them from the new submission.
    2. Here's a list of items that we have recurring in our company: mileage, parking, phone bills (and even internet for telecommuters), and some also have monthly subscriptions
    3. I understand that the idea is to smart scan as soon as possible, but what I find is that a lot of our users still submit close to the deadlines (at the last minute), because they had more pressing tasks.

Keeping the software simple is great, but some of the requested features such as this one (or another one of my favourites - being able to search by amount, etc) won't necessarily make this complex.

Thanks,

• user123user123 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Yes, I believe policy level rules based on merchant would be a useful feature for some of our vendors/merchants and we could use that feature to help with governance as well as data cleansing/standardization but we would still have a lot of one-off expenses.

The primary reason is that our tags are independent of our merchants. We have many merchants where seemingly duplicate purchases can have completely different associated tags (project, categories, classifications, types, etc.).

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 655 Expensify Team

Thanks so much @evgeniya_a! And thanks everyone so far - this is great!

We already have the ability to copy a report without images, so that's a feature that can be used right now without adding something new. If we were to go back in time, would we create the Copy Report feature again? I'm not so sure. But it's there and it can be used for templating if necessary.

I hear you all re last-minute expenses, but that's a behaviour we want to encourage users to change (I used to save mine up for 3 months with other software, so I 100% get it!) - we don't want to add a new feature that would make it easier for users to have 'bad habits' as it were.

(Yes! A global search which includes Amount is also on my current Ideas hit-list!)

So what I am trying to ascertain, is what makes 'copy expense' crucial in users' lives, enough that it needs to be built? In what case would it actually be used, aside from recurring expenses (which we are also discussing as its own solution)? This is the crux of it. Much like requisitioning resource in any business, I need to build a really solid business-case for this feature.

I have ad-hoc-but-repeated mileage expenses so far.

• user123user123 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

@Rachael Hopkins "In what case would it actually be used, aside from recurring expenses"

It has potential to save your non-Smart Scan customers a lot amount of time.

A "copy expense" feature would provide another automation tool for companies that cannot / will not use Smart Scan (see below). It takes me about 30 seconds to create a new expense and type in all the details, pick all my tags, upload my receipt and click save. It only takes me about 5-10 seconds to edit an expense (make one or two changes and upload a receipt). Multiply those saved seconds over the course of a year for thousands of expenses and that comes out to days or potentially weeks of saved time. Now multiply that by multiple employees. That's a massive time savings that could be invested in other business needs/endeavors. So while "copy expense" may not be seen as a perfect solution for Expensify, it would add immediate value to my company right now.

Smart Scan - A lot of companies cannot or will not use Smart Scan either due to software issues or user error or both. There are community threads that dig into the Smart Scan issues so I won't get into that here. Just know we tried smart scan for a few months and it created more issues than it solved. It took us weeks to clean up the data and get back on track.

With that said, I'm not just here to b**** and moan! I think you all have created an excellent product and I want to make sure and thank the Expensify team for all their hard to make it even better!

• evgeniya_aevgeniya_a Expensify Customer Posts: 16 Expensify Newcomer

Oh! I'm one of the people who never uses smart scan. I have 1 expense every 2-3 months - and it's just faster to drag & drop my receipt & fill out the description. (not sure this is relevant, but thought I'd mention it haha)

But being able to copy an expense can also save time for smart-scan users as well - they too have mileage & per diem.

Also, ok, you don't want to encourage users to submit expenses at last minute.. what if they want to expense an item that was just purchased and have to submit asap due to deadlines? Smart scan takes up to 24hrs and if they wait - they'll have to wait for next payroll cycle.

• TerryDTerryD Expensify Customer Posts: 2

Hi Rachael Hopkins,

I'll echo the frustrations of others on how long this is taking...but glad to see someone asking questions.

For me the ability to DUPLICATE an expense line item is 100% for TIME entries. I work on contract (long term, essentially permanent) and need to enter my hours for each day. I enter 5 line items a week that have all the same information except the number of hours.

They all have the same:

Category

Tag

Description

rate per hour

So I am filling all those fields in 5x per week just to enter a different date and number for hours. It may seem like nothing to you, but if the point of Expensify is to make expenses less of a total pain, this is a weekly frustration with your application for me. It was easier when we used excel.

Thanks,

Terry

• TIMGTIMG Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

This is hilarious. Somehow I'm still subscribed to this stupid thread years later. Our company has since migrated to Paylocity and has never looked back its been a year plus.

I'm sorry Expensify you're not listening to your customers. DUPLICATING a recurring expense is a simple and valid process in this industry.

Thanks team! I think I am building a good case here. Keep it coming. I will keep revisiting this thread for a while, to scoop up further use cases.

• TeeKayTeeKay Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

This is ridiculous. You're actively trying to find ways to not support what's a common feature on other platforms and a common use case for your users. What AMAZING things are you working on that preclude you from something this simple and this useful?

• Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 59 Expensify Team

Hey @Markymark -

Whilst I can see that it has been a little while since this post was created, we are constantly building new features.

You can see many examples of features suggested by customers. In 2019, we took on 6 customer-proposed ideas from the Idea's Section, with one example being the ability to import company cards via CSV in Domain Control, which is in the final stages of testing and due to go live soon.

Regarding your point about SmartScan, I'm sorry to hear that your employees are not able to make best use of it's design. I would suggest that they use the Rapid Fire mode if they are uploading many expenses after accruing them.

We endeavour to respond to customer's questions, ideas and feedback as quickly as possible.

Thank you for being a part of the Community. Please keep the ideas coming and help us to understand how to make Expensify most useful to customers!

• Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 59 Expensify Team

Hey @user123  

Awesome to hear how you would make use of this feature.

Please lend your vote to the original post by "Up Voting" it, so we can continue to gather a view of demand for this.

Thanks!

• BP6BP6 Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I believe it is a flawed premise for you to think that all expenses entered are receipt based. Some are stipends/per diems/mileage, etc. Why do you insist that everyone **should** be using the SmartScan feature when many of us do not need/choose to and then when we explain why it does not work for us, suggest that we **should** try a different "Rapid Fire mode" setting, instead of simply accepting that this feature (SmartScan) does not serve the purposes of some of your customers who are still finding value in and continuing to use and pay for your product?

As mentioned by many customers on this thread, not all expenses have physical receipts. It would save us a lot of time and energy and stress to be able to set up recurring expenses/duplicate expenses (these terms seem interchangeable as I've seen most people use them in this forum), so we do not need to manually enter these recurring monthly expenses or remember to search our personal or work emails for monthly receipts to forward to our expensify email. It does not help me or make sense to my workflow to "duplicate an expense report."

I can understand your desire not to 'enable bad habits,' but choosing not to implement a feature that many of your paying customers have requested FOR OVER 2 YEARS after explaining to you (at your insistence) why it would help and serve them, because, in your opinion, they should 'act differently' and 'not wait until the last minute to file an expense report' seems an overreach of your duties as an expense management software.

Your belief that your paying customers should do things the way YOU believe they should be done and not the way that works for our personal and business workflows seems to exemplify your complete lack of awareness, understanding, and respect for how your customers ARE ACTUALLY using your product. Does a dentist refuse to repair a cavity because their patient "should have eaten less sweets?" Do they insist, "If you hadn't eaten that brownie, I wouldn't need to spend my time fixing your tooth, so I'm not going to do it?"

Does that make sense to you? Because it doesn't to me.

Hi @BP6 Welcome to the Expensify Community! Nice to see a new community member weighing in here!

Thanks everyone for your use cases and feedback here, and answering my difficult questions (and allowing me to play devil's advocate!!) it has all been very valuable to help me laser-focus my internal proposal.

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. 😀

• kristinjkristinj Expensify Customer Posts: 9 Expensify Newcomer

I've used Expensify daily (for nearly a decade) and often have 300+ entries in a month. I mostly use smart-scan with rules, but it's not perfect. I try to reconcile once a week, but sometimes a month goes by. When this happens, I often enter 3-10+ entries that are nearly identical-- perhaps I've been out of town and am entering 12 receipts from Lyft, 4 on the same date-- I'd like to enter one and then "duplicate" only changing the price for the other three (I know there are other ways to enter this info, like smart-scan, but I'm just using it as an example). Or, when I'm doing my end of year reconcile and realize I've forgotten a monthly expense (say like, Netflix), I'd like to enter it once and then duplicate it, changing only the date for each month. Please please implement this feature.

• Victoria O'learyVictoria O'leary Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 79 Expensify Team

Hi @kristinj and welcome to the "Copy/Duplicate Expense" party!

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your use case and why you'd love to see this idea implemented. We hear you all loud and clear, so we're looking into different ways we might be able to put this idea into action!

Watch this space for future updates! 😃

Oh and, as always, don't forget to vote for this idea if you haven't already.

Ok friends, I have completed my brief and sent it through to the Engineering team. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, this looks like it will be going into development! Thanks to everyone for your patience and input!

Oh wow, @Rachael Hopkins, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Do you have any idea when we might see it in action? :)

Hi @kristinj that's a toughie. I've worked with software companies for a loooong time and I'm well aware that you can have 90% of development take one week and the last 10% take a year!

In saying this, I would hope that it will be under 3 months, but don't hold me to it. It's very much a 'how long's a piece of string' situation! Right now it's waiting for the engineers to do their part to my brief i.e. the technical bits I don't understand, and then it will be assigned to an engineer to create, assuming there are no unforeseen hiccups.

I'll try and give news whenever there is some, here!

Oh yay, @Rachael Hopkins! I've been using expensify and wanting this feature for nearly 10 years, so waiting around 3 months is no biggie (though it would have been nice to have it in time for tax-prep in April, I get it). Thank you and your tech team! :)

• TIMGTIMG Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I'm sorry but who waits 10years for a software feature..? In 3 months I will return to this thread and laugh more...

Community cheer "leading you on"

Hi everyone! Quick update here - you will see a new 'Duplicate Expense' button on the Expenses page like so:

Or on the expense itself, down on the lower edge:

Using this option will create a new expense with the same details, on the current date (i.e. today) with no receipt image (so that you remember to add a fresh one).

Thanks to everyone involved!!

Hello again everyone, I'd like some feedback re Per Diems please.

There were five people who mentioned duplicating Per Diems - I'd love to know more about those use cases - in which scenarios would you duplicate a Per Diem?

Due to how Per Diems work, I'm not loving the duplication of them, as the original Merchant name is kept, as is an automatically generated 'receipt'.

I'm trying to gauge whether it's better to leave Per Diems out of the new Duplicate feature, or whether there is actually a case where they would be duplicated. I.e. I'd like to improve how this first iteration works.

I'd love your feedback!