Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

Include the ability to turn off notifications/and or features for the New Expensify Card

124»

Comments

• CompanyAdminCompanyAdmin Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    edited February 4

Absolutely inappropriate to inendate people with this shameless push for your credit card product which you WILL profit from. We all know you are making money on the float! . WE DO NOT WANT YOUR CARD! GET IT?! GET IT OUT OF OUR FACE!!!

• gschwarzergschwarzer Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

@Victoria O'Leary post of Jan 13 is typical of head in the sand thinking/drinking your own Cool-aid. "We did this to make your life easier" when clearly a massive amount of people had already given feedback to the contrary.

Given it is now 20 days after that post and still the same actions from Expensify, they don't understand true customer feedback and therefore are about to experience significant attrition...starting with my company at earliest opportunity. Too many good, aggressive competitors in the space that want my business.

• kelskels Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Another thought I had..

Expensify's constant rebuttal is that this card makes the task of expenses "easier" therefore making our jobs "easier."

Actually, when you are consistently sending misleading messages and notifications to our hundreds of employees, this leads to many emails interruptions to our work day with multiple questions and overall mass confusion. All of this warrants multiple responses and explanations on our part so in turn, you are making our job very hard. It takes a lot away from the day to have to talk down multiple employees and their managers and also implicates their workdays as well to reach out and worry about whether they need a card or not.

What would make our lives a lot easier, ESPECIALLY in the expense world is halting this aggressive and manipulative marketing so our employees can go about their expense submissions and we can go about our report reviews and approvals without any hiccups or questions.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 701 Expensify Team
    edited February 12

Expensify is designed to make life for everyone in the expense process easier, not just Admins. The Expensify card is a new feature (included in Expensify, not a separate or add-on product) to prevent employees needing to be out of pocket for company expenses. As such, we are letting users know about it so that it can be discussed internally, as it affects their own personal finances, cash management and potentially their household budget. Whereas it costs the company nothing and has strict controls internally - feedback from those using the card so far has been very positive. Essentially, we are providing companies with a free alternative to using their employees' cash, without the risks of a traditional credit card.

Whether or not the feature is used is 100% under your control. Most users have been sent one single email and they can hide the Inbox task if it is not relevant. Hopefully allowing users to express interest will help you gauge those who may find being out of pocket for company expenses inconvenient or difficult, but have not had any alternative before now.

For questions around whether Expensify is profiting from this, we are of course a business with bills to pay, but we are donating a decent chunk of any profit made from interchange fees to charity, and we have set up a charitable organisation to facilitate this along with other donations from Expensify directly.

Feel free to post up any questions you have have about how it all works and we'll do our best to answer.

• M_WM_W Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer
    edited February 12

@Rachael Hopkins Disappointing but unsurprising to see Expensify continue to dig in on this rather than admitting that it screwed up and should just apologize.

Is it arrogance or incompetence that makes it impossible for you to acknowledge that it was underhanded to send unsolicited messages (and not just via the inbox, but also via e-mail) to users who are not eligible for an Expensify?

It's obvious why you did this, so spare us the "make life easier" theatrics. You hoped users would pressure their organizations to consider the Expensify card. Who did you think would react well to that?

I'm sure some intern built a model that told you the increase in revenue would more than offset the churn. Judging from the responses here, you've grossly miscalculated how much this would frustrate the people who actually pay for the service and, more importantly, make the decision to keep or cancel it.

Let's be clear, Expensify is NOT a need-to-have service. It is, at best, a mediocre tool. The best you could have done was fly under the radar and hope no one noticed they were paying you thousands of dollars a month. Nice work getting everyone's attention.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 701 Expensify Team

@M_W I'm sorry it comes across that way - everything I have said is 100% genuine.

Can I get you to expand on "users who are not eligible for an Expensify?" - messages were only sent to users with Expensify accounts. I understand that may have created some uncomfortable conversations, but we firmly believe that users should not have to use their own personal funds for company expenses anymore if the alternative is viable, and that users should know that it is an option.

Is there a reason why you prefer users to be out of pocket rather than using Expensify to foot the bill temporarily via the new card feature?

Expensify's focus is really around having users take ownership for their own expenses, with as little Admin involvement as possible, but it does mean that we have a lot more interaction with the end-user than many traditional systems where everything is funnelled through the Admins.

We do not aim to quietly fly below the radar so that customers forget they are paying us - I have certainly worked for a few software companies who do this and I can comfortably say Expensify is not one of them! In fact, if we even slightly suspect someone us paying us more than they need to, we are very active about letting them know as soon as we spot it.

While I understand that everyone here is very frustrated and annoyed, and I'm 100% sure that there are likely many more out there not in this thread who feel the same, the response from Expensify users and admins has been overwhelmingly positive. To put things in perspective, we have millions of users, thousands of whom now use the Expensify card, and we have just 40 people in this thread who do not like this new feature, or potentially just dislike the communication we have had directly with users.

Please do let me know if you have any questions about the mechanics of this new feature.

• M_WM_W Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer
    edited February 12

"everything I have said is 100% genuine." - This is my point exactly. No apology, no acknowledgement of how underhanded this is.

"I understand that may have created some uncomfortable conversations" - Then why create uncomfortable conversations for your customers?

"we firmly believe that users should not have to use their own personal funds" - Great, I'm glad that works for you. Not your call to make for another organization.

"Is there a reason why you prefer users to be out of pocket rather than using Expensify to foot the bill temporarily via the new card feature?" - Yes.

"We do not aim to quietly fly below the radar so that customers forget they are paying us" - You should. I just looked at what we're paying you.

"We have millions of users, thousands of whom now use the Expensify card, and we have just 40 people in this thread who do not like this new feature..." - Congratulations. Think of the users those 40 people represent. Then think of how many more people are directly contacting your support team to address this disaster or just quietly stewing, not knowing this thread exists? You're underestimating the impact this has had on your customers and your obstinate take on it only makes things worse.

To a point in an earlier post, given your "millions of users", you may not care that you've frustrated 40 people to the point that they take their likely thousands of users elsewhere. Again, congratulations.

• kelskels Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Um "letting users know about it so that it can be discussed internally" would be sending out one email. Your relentless and misleading marketing for the card is not simple communication of what's available. And you're right, it should be something that is discussed internally... so why are you so concerned about our employees and their personal finances? The story and the "why" behind the card changes every time an Expensify employee comments on this thread yet none of them are actually listening or adequately responding to our concerns about it. It makes it even more frustrating and MUCH more unappealing.

Hi @kels most users should have got one email, and some maybe two. Can you DM me the email addresses of those who got more than two emails? I'd like to look into what happened.

• tBrowntBrown Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Admins must have the ability to control any message as it pertains to the ability to charge...with ANY CARD. I'm in disbelief and my Sr. Leadership team wants to terminate the relationship immediately.

• Catherine_ACatherine_A Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

And it doesn't help to Hide the alert when they keep sending new alerts regarding the credit card. We have so many employees frustrated with this continuing to pop up in their Inbox. Not to mention the thousands of emails we are getting as administrators. Not OK, Expensify. You are hurting yourself rather than successfully selling your new product.

• Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 83 Expensify Team

Hey @tBrown @GenieS @Catherine_A 

A few things to cover off here.

@tBrown - As an admin, you still have full control. There would be no charges if you did not enable the Expensify Card. Even if you had enabled the hard, you would need to have set a limit of more than $0.

@GenieS - We aren't meaning to offend you, and do our best to cater to all business models. If you can explain what it was that we got wrong, I'd love to work through it with you.

@Catherine_A - Lastly, employees and admins can hide any card-related Inbox Task. The should not be seeing these hidden tasks reappear, so if that is what you're saying, please write in to Concierge.

I would also advise anyone frustrated by the email communications navigate to Settings Account Preferences Contact Preferences. From there, you can update your notification settings.

If you are being prompted to take care of something in your Expensify Inbox, you'll need to head there to resolve the outstanding tasks, otherwise, Concierge will continue to send a weekly reminder about them! 

I hope this clarifies some of your concerns, please reach out if you have any further specific questions.

• maasjmaasj Expensify Customer Posts: 23 Expensify Admirer

I feel genuinely sorry for the Expensify customer service people who are thrown to the wolves by being forced to take their turn in this thread. The underlying problems aren't their fault. <sigh>

• tBrowntBrown Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Zany Renney I don't have full control because, as the Admin, I can't stop the solicitations from going to my employees. To that point, I wasn't even made aware. Don't further insult my intelligence by saying all I have to do is set the cards to $0.00. I don't want you to solicit my employees, the inundation of communications blindsided me and without looking like a fool, I can't even tell them how to make it stop. This doesn't seem right. Expensify knows it, and I'd pay double to any other platform that has a moral compass and LEADERSHIP that acknowledges it was a mistake and own up to doing the right thing. The play on words like 'control' and 'options' sickens me. Expensify knows precisely what they are doing.

• Cortney OfstadCortney Ofstad Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 117 Expensify Team

Hi @tBrown

I understand and thanks so much for clarifying that with additional context. Our intention certainly wasn't to make your life more difficult, actually quite the opposite. We wanted to make it easy for employees to request this feature be enabled and for you to know which employees had requested it. The nature of the program is such that you have full control over who gets shipped a card and once they have a card the design of the Unapproved Expense Limit is you have total control over exactly how much exposure you have on a per-employee basis: once over that limit, the card turns off until you approve the purchase. In any case, it sounds like our attempts to make things easier for you haven't had their intended effect.

I appreciate you taking the time to talk this through with me and I'm very sorry to hear that you feel this way. If that's the case, I want to clarify — I don't have the ability to disable this right now, but I want to make sure your voice is heard by the product team. I'm eager to help you in any way that I can, so if there's anything else I can help with related to Expensify, please do let me know.

• Jeff_FlowersJeff_Flowers Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Hello Expensify Team, do we have an you have an update on the ability to shut this off at the policy level? I have used Expensify in the past and enjoy the program, however this Expensify Card situation is unacceptable and creating confusion within our team. I am on the trial. If there is no resolve to this, I am going to give serious consideration to Concur or Certify.

• SdeforestSdeforest Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

Having to walk my employees through a process to keep Expensify Card spam out of their inbox has been a waste of my time. I shouldn't have to do it for a product I pay for.

• Rev_AdminRev_Admin Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

I have entered multiple help & support to ask about having this turned off. I see that the Expensify employee responses vary, one says you can, other say you can't. Some say you have "approved" that's why your employees are getting these etc. etc.

We never approved anything about the Expensify card when it came out. We are not able to control ANY messages sent directly to our employees, who are on a corporate account, that tell them their Admin wants them to use the card (essentially). The emails are misleading, bypass the administrator, who is the decision maker, and waste a ton of our time.

No, we will not be using this "card". No, we do not want the card. It's a even more irritating to see Expensify employees in this chat- still trying to engage about this card!! We are evaluating other options, this might very well send us over the fence we've been sitting on with Expensify.

I truly hope the power to directly market to employees is stopped. The control in a Corporate Plan is given to the Administrator and decision maker for that plan and that the defensiveness on the Expensify side goes away and they realize this goes way over the line.

• Rev_AdminRev_Admin Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer
    edited March 31

**Can there please be a way for the Administrators on a Corporate Plan to do this for all employees?? Our employees Hate Expensify at this point. Are tired of being emailed with instructions to fix issues/settings etc. This is a Corporate Plan, not individuals,. yet we can't really adjust anything or control anything. Getting the number of employees we have to do the number of adjustments we have had to have them do is negating any of the positives we have had with Expensify. It takes way too much time to deal with this. ** Also, the below option for employees to click "I'll ask them in person" must expire after a certain amount of time since we have employees who did that & then later received another email about the card. Why, why is this control not in the "Domain" and the "Domain" actually means setting the settings for All corporate employee users.

44 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated January 24

- Everyone can disable email notifications for the card by heading to Settings > Account > Preferences > Contact Preferences and unchecking “Relevant feature updates and Expensify news”. - Admins can hide the Inbox task regarding applying for the card. - Employees can hide the Inbox task to ask their admins for a card by clicking the "I'll ask them in person" option.

• nlisonliso Expensify Customer Posts: 19 Expensify Admirer
    edited May 27

Wait - Another push for the Expensify Card??

It seems that most are completely unaware that Expensify plans to increase fees from $9 per user to $18 per user if you do not sign up for the Expensify card. First, what a horrible way to force your customers to use something they do not want to and two there is been little to no communication around this. I had to find out through a peer and understand our increase through concierge. We are an Enterprise company who is not a fit for the Expensify credit card, we have a credit card program that is robust for our use case. Expensify, I strongly suggest before rolling this out you 1. contact your customers and help them understand the magnitude of the cost increase that you are rolling out, especially your large customers that are likely to not be using the Expensify card. 2. You are going to loose a lot of customers, already the few I have connected with after learning about cost increases are looking to re-evaluate Expensify ASAP.

You yet again are not considering your Enterprise Customers and doing us disservice. This is not the time, especially during the COVID-19 cost savings efforts??

@gschwarzer 

• GenieSGenieS Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

Due to Corona virus / COVID-19, all of our corporate travel has been suspended indefinitely. Tradeshows, conferences etc. have been cancelled. Perhaps an opportune time to shop the business.

• SCHMatthewSCHMatthew Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

We share the same frustration as those listed above including the misleading emails to our team. Even more frustrating is the inability to truly hide the incessant reminder in Concierge. "I'll ask them in person" is intentionally misleading, too. Even after it's clicked, the reminder returns upon refresh and it is infuriating.

We've started to look for an alternative product as Expensify doesn't appear to take the concerns of its paying customers seriously. Quite disappointing.

• ScotMosleyScotMosley Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

This conversation has been going on between users and Expensify customer service since Jan 2020. I emailed them to ask why the message appears after clicking "I'll ask them in person". They asked me several basic questions about clearing cache, trying different browsers...etc. This all seems like stall tactics. I'm ready for the ads to go away.

For me, the ad doesn't even go away when I click "I'll ask them in person". The screen just flashes and the ad is still there, fully expanded.

At the very least, the important tasks need to be listed at the top instead of being pushed down by this advertising. Reports and approvals that are needed by my employees are not visible anymore. I pay for this tool to make it easy to manage expenses. Hiding important tasks makes this tool less valuable.

• DavidDSDavidDS Expensify Customer Posts: 4

FYI, We have not had this problem for over two months. It appears that the ads are hidden now that I have said "I"ll ask them in person" or something like that.

For what it's worth, I get why Expensify is doing this and I think the option to give them your Interchange + Fees instead of paying a higher cost is a good option. We need the cash flow flexibility that the 30-50 days to pay that a credit card provides at no cost. If we went with Expensify for that, we'd be needing to take on short term revolving credit lines at a much higher cost than the subscription.

• Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 83 Expensify Team

Hi @ScotMosley - Hmm, that is strange, if the inbox task is still appearing after you click "i'll ask them in person" please send that over as a screenshot so we can investigate this further for you.

Activities needing your attention should be at the top of your Inbox.

Thanks for those thoughts DavidDS and I am sorry to hear the Expensify Card won't work out for you due to those requirements!