We're currently experiencing an outage with our Citibank connection. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Category selection doesn't change tax rate

nsutherlandnsutherland Expensify Customer Posts: 2

The way the UX is set up you change taxes first then categories. Well once you change the category that resets the taxes. One shouldn't impact the other or at the very least, move the category selection above the tax selection so that the work previously performed doesn't have to be redone.

1 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Jenna HayJenna Hay Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 64 Expensify Team

Hi @nsutherland thanks for your suggestion. Out of curiosity, in what cases are you manually selecting a tax rate on an expense? Given you can set local, foreign and category tax defaults in your policy, you should be able to have the correct tax rates automatically applied to all your expenses so I'd love to hear where it isn't working.

• nsutherlandnsutherland Expensify Customer Posts: 2

I can set policy defaults, but with numerous different jurisdictions and people located across the country, setting a policy default doesn't work and people can't select their own defaults, so we have selected the default to be tax exempt because of this.

From there, certain supplies aren't taxable, on meals the amount without tip is taxable, customs transactions are basically all tax - there are many use cases of the tax being different than the standard rate for that area. So, if you change this amount and then change the account, it resets to the policy default.

• Christina DobryzynskiChristina Dobryzynski Expensify Team Posts: 152 Expensify Team

Thank you for the extra insight, @nsutherland! This is very interesting! Taxes are certainly something we continue to focus on improving and I think the UX workflow you mention is very important for us to know.

Keeping this UX improvement suggestion here for others to vote on will be helpful for us to get some visibility on how many users are affected by this.

Side note, don't forget to click the ^ arrow in the yellow voting box to vote for your idea!

Jumping back into the examples you've provided, I noticed taxes are imported into your group policy from Xero. Are you saying these jurisdictions/state taxes are not available in Xero and therefore can't be imported to Expensify and the workaround is to manually set a tax for an expense?

Is possible to send us an example of an expense that doesn't fit the current taxes importing from Xero? Please keep in mind the Expensify Community is public-facing so any private information will need to be omitted.

Or, could you send the example to me at [email protected] so I can take a peek at it? Thank you!

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,030 Expensify Team

Hi @nsutherland I'd just like to get really sharp on what this Idea is for, for those coming in to check it out.

Basically, when we added category-based-tax, we made it so that tax rates are set up against the category, and then you apply or alter a category it applies the rate for that category.

But, the tax rate is up with the Amount, whereas the Category is down with the Coding, so if a user works from top to bottom, they can inadvertently end up resetting the tax rate if it is not the default rate for that category.

And your suggestion is to change where the Category (or the Tax) is in the UI, so that the Category is higher on screen than the Tax rate. Correct?

May I ask what country you are in? That helps give us insight!