How long does it take Expensify to fix issues... it has been over a month

mynCPA
mynCPA Expensify Customer Posts: 10 Expensify Newcomer

Is it unreasonable to expect

Conversation with Expensify

Started on January 18, 2020 at 05:41 PM Pacific Time (US & Canada) time PST (GMT-0800)

--- January 18, 2020 ---

05:41 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Hello, something is just not right with our QBO and Expensify card sync. According to https://community.expensify.com/discussion/4848/deep-dive-expensify-card-and-quickbooks-online-auto-reconciliation-how-it-works , during the first sync, we will create the Expensify Card liability account and the Expensify Clearing account in your QBO general ledger. While these accounts exist, there are no transactions in either account, which probably explains why we're not able to match transactions against our QBO bank feeds. We really need to reconcile and close our books and would appreciate a prompt resolution please.

05:41 PM | Operator: Expensify will be back tomorrow.

05:41 PM | Operator: You'll be notified here and by email (myohannes@32analytics.com)

--- January 21, 2020 ---

07:00 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Hate to bother you but we can't close our books because of this issue. We really need this to be escalated and resolved as teh Expensify Card transactions are not able to be matched to the bank debits. We need an ETA so we can plan accordingly.

02:37 PM | Concierge from Expensify: Apologies for the delay in response! To confirm, what happens when you open a given report and click "View non-reimbursable" expenses from the Report History & Comments section? 

[Image "uploads%2F1579732627764-1579732627764.png"]

03:24 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: I’m not sure I understand where that is. Our main issue is that we’re not able to reconcile the Expensify debits (where funds are drafted from our account for Expensify card purchases) to the entries booked in QBO by Expensify. 

When we initially inquired about this, someone said that we don’t have some report. I think they called in the Expensify card reconciliation report. The bottom line is we have Expensify ACH debits from our bank account that we can’t match in QBO. So how do we determine what transactions make up a ACH draft on any given day. Hope that makes sense?

--- January 27, 2020 ---

06:11 PM | Concierge from Expensify: Alright, so clicking the link in my above screenshot will help me understand what non-reimbursable Expensify Card expenses look like in QBO. 

Go ahead and navigate to Report #56315350 and scroll down to the Report History & Comments section of the report. Then, click the link that says, View non-reimbursable expenses. 

That should take you to the report in QBO that includes Expensify Card expenses. That will be a solid first step in figuring out where the disconnect is. 

Will you go through those steps and let me know if that clears anything up on your end? Could you also forward me a screenshot of the clearing account in QBO associated with the Expensify Card? I would like to see how that looks on your end.

07:03 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Thank you for getting back to me. Please see responses below in Blue as well as screenshots. 

Thanks, 

Mebea Yohannes, CPA 

32 Analytics, LLC 

8811 Teel Pkwy #5561 

Frisco, TX 75035 

Direct: (214) 641-1367 

Fax: (469) 759-3322 

This firm is not a CPA firm. 

-- 

From: Concierge from Expensify <concierge@team.expensify.com>

Reply-To: Concierge from Expensify <concierge@expensify-1362ca8d670e.intercom-mail.com>

Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 at 8:14 PM

To: Mebea Yohannes <myohannes@32analytics.com>

Subject: Re: Hello, something is just not right with our QBO and Expensify card ... 

Alright, so clicking the link in my above screenshot will help me understand what non-reimbursable Expensify Card expenses look like in QBO. 

Go ahead and navigate to Report #56315350 and scroll down to the Report History & Comments section of the report. Then, click the link that says, View non-reimbursable expenses. 

That should take you to the report in QBO that includes Expensify Card expenses. That will be a solid first step in figuring out where the disconnect is. 

Clicking on the ‘View non-reimbursable expenses’ launches QBO, but it opens our QBO Accountant account and doesn’t actually take me to ABA DSO’s QBO file. 

Will you go through those steps and let me know if that clears anything up on your end? Could you also forward me a screenshot of the clearing account in QBO associated with the Expensify Card? I would like to see how that looks on your end.

10:43 AM | Concierge from Expensify: Apologies, however, we're unable to receive your response and a screenshot, would you mind sending it again? 

Talk to you soon!

--- January 29, 2020 ---

08:11 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Yes, please see attached. I just saved the screen shots as a pdf file. The size of the images may have been the issue. 

Thanks, 

Mebea Yohannes, CPA 

32 Analytics, LLC 

8811 Teel Pkwy #5561 

Frisco, TX 75035 

--- January 30, 2020 ---

10:12 AM | Concierge from Expensify: Ah, I've looked into the conversation history you've had with our team and it looks like the last response was likely a little confusing. It gave you directions to look at the reconciliation report, but earlier in that same conversation we let you know that we noticed you don't have access to this report. I just checked in on the issue and it does look like our engineers are working on this, so I'll let you know as soon as I have more information for you there.

10:56 AM | Concierge from Expensify: I'm looking into your account and this may take a little bit to check with my team. I'll be back with you as soon as possible!

11:26 AM | Concierge from Expensify: Ok, can you please click into one of the expenses from the screenshot that you sent me, and take a screenshot of the charge on the following screen? I'd like to see which account it's hitting and any other details that might help us troubleshoot this.

--- February 5, 2020 ---

02:22 AM | Operator: Help Concierge understand how they’re doing:

02:22 AM | Operator: Rate your conversation

--- February 9, 2020 ---

06:29 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Attached is a screenshot of an Expensify card transaction in QBO. 

Since our books are now a mess due to these expensify card transactions and since we can’t get someone on the phone and all the help is drip, drip, drip, how about we address the following: 

Please address both when responding 

1. Look at the screen shots attached of our QBO integration setup and let us know if we need to make any changes (2nd attachment). 

1. My understanding is that Expensify should post Expensify Card transactions (according to Deep Dive (https://community.expensify.com/discussion/4848/deep-dive-expensify-card-and-quickbooks-online-auto-reconciliation-how-it-works)), Expensify should create a journal entry (including pending transactions) that equal to the amount drafted from our account. This is not happening and it doesn’t look like anyone is surprised that it’s not doing so. What do we need to do for Expensify to function exactly as described in this post. Or is this a known problem? 

We are not able to close our books and this doesn’t seem to get the attention it deserves. Great product but no one to stand behind it when things go wrong. 

Mebea Yohannes, CPA 

32 Analytics, LLC 

8811 Teel Pkwy #5561 

Frisco, TX 75035 

--- February 9, 2020 ---

11:39 PM | Concierge from Expensify: I'm very sorry for the back and forth here - I know that can be frustrating but let's see if we can get to the bottom of this now! 

So, first I just want to take a step back and see how Expensify Card expenses and daily settlement appear in Expensify. 

Using the expense you've provided as an example, I can see this expense looks slightly different than usual. This is because the final amount of $202.95 was originally for $253.27 which was settled on 3 January, with a total daily settlement amount of $361.20: 

[Image "uploads%2F1581319482670-1581319482670.png"] Part of this transaction was then credited back by Staples ($50.32) which was deducted from the daily settlement on 6 January: 

[Image "uploads%2F1581319869101-1581319869101.png"] Now, your QB setup shows these expenses should be exported to Cash -Operating (BTH) account, and based on the screenshot you've sent me, this is the account the expense are exporting to: 

[Image "uploads%2F1581320330153-1581320330153.png"] So, with this bit of context, can you please give me a little more information about what you are expecting to see in QBO and how that differs from what you are seeing? 

Thanks in advance.

10:52 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: What I'm expecting to see is an entry created by Expensify that equals the amount of funds drafted from our bank account for Expensify card transactions. Per #3 in this post https://community.expensify.com/discussion/4848/deep-dive-expensify-card-and-quickbooks-online-auto-reconciliation-how-it-works , why is this not happening? Please please. read your own procedure of how its supposed to work and determine why its not doing so in our case.

10:55 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: And I specifically asked for the 2 points to be addressed, considering the back-and-forth requiried in resolving issues, I would expect my questions to be specifically addressed. Woudl you please address this time around?

10:56 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: 1. Look at the screen shots attached of our QBO integration setup and let us know if we need to make any changes (2nd attachment).

2. My understanding is that Expensify should post Expensify Card transactions (according to Deep Dive), Expensify should create a journal entry (including pending transactions) that equal to the amount drafted from our account. This is not happening and it doesn’t look like anyone is surprised that it’s not doing so. What do we need to do for Expensify to function exactly as described in this post. Or is this a known problem?

--- February 10, 2020 ---

10:03 PM | Concierge from Expensify: I know there's been a lot of back and forth here, sometimes it can take a while to reconcile what you're seeing in QBO, so I really appreciate your patience. 

Now, looking at the Expensify end, the values of the last 3 Journal Entries I would be expecting to see in QBO are: 

$290.38 (10 Feb) 

$512.30 (7 Feb) 

$553.83 (6 Feb) 

Now, if these aren't the values you're seeing, can you please send me a screenshot of the Journal Entries from each of these days? 

This will really help get us on the same page and then we can work out the missing pieces from there. 

Look forward to hearing from you!

--- February 12, 2020 ---

07:10 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: I wish I could. Now I'm getting sync errors that accounts do not exist. Can you send me how the 2 accounts (Expensify clearing and Expensify Liability accounts) should be named in QBO and whether they need be a bank, credit card or some other type of account.

07:18 AM | Concierge from Expensify: I'm working with the team to look more closely at your issue, as we really want to get this resolved for you. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

08:10 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Example of a report failing to export

08:10 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Jill's Expenses #57778363

--- February 13, 2020 ---

06:07 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: any update on this. We're no longer able to export expenses to QBO

--- February 14, 2020 ---

11:54 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: hello, I was hoping to get some update on this issue. We may ver well lose our biggest client over this and kindly request an update that I can communicate back to them.

--- February 18, 2020 ---

08:59 AM | myohannes@32analytics.com: what's the status on this? Should we just drop Expensify or do you think there is a chance you guys will fix this?

--- February 20, 2020 ---

01:39 PM | Concierge from Expensify: Hi there! I apologize for the delay in circling back to you on this!

01:44 PM | Concierge from Expensify: Regarding the accounts in QBO - these should have been created during the first sync after the card was set up. They would have been named "Expensify Card Liability Account" and "Expensify Card Clearing Account". Do you have these in QBO?

As far as the type, you do need to ensure that your non-reimbursable expenses are set to export as Credit Card in your coding configuration, and that the account selected here matches your account selected for the Expensify Card in Domains > Company Cards: 

[Image "uploads%2F1582234977532-1582234977532.png"] [Image "uploads%2F1582235028071-1582235028071.png"]

01:49 PM | Concierge from Expensify: Regarding Report ID 57778363, I am seeing that the error (in the Report History & Comments section toward the bottom of the report is "Account not found on policy 047404A4A424B753, make sure the QBO connection is synced and all centrally-managed cards are correctly configured in Domain Control." 

This error can occur when the: 

- account (category or posting account), 

- customer (tag), 

- item, 

- vendor (submitter or Credit Card Misc. vendor), 

- and/or class 

on a report has been deleted or inactivated within QuickBooks Online. 

Could you please go to QuickBooks Online and verify if the vendor or any accounts, customers, items, or classes used in the report have been deleted or set as inactive? If they have been, please set them to active, sync your policy, and try exporting the report again.

01:49 PM | Concierge from Expensify: Let me know how that goes!

01:53 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: No accounts or classes have been made inactive in QBO. The problem originated in the fact that QBO accounts were never created during the initial sync. I had to create them manually.

01:54 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: I've checked the things you asked me to check and I'm still getting the same error message.

01:55 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Are you sure the account names to be exactly "Expensify Card Liability Account" and "Expensify Card Clearing Account

01:56 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Or should they be "Expensify Card Liability" and "Expensify Card Clearing". Because this would make a diff. and the names are inconsistent in this document https://community.expensify.com/discussion/4848/deep-dive-expensify-card-and-quickbooks-online-auto-reconciliation-how-it-works.

01:59 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: Additionally, all Expensify card exports are erroring. Reimbursable expenses are exporting fine, which tells me this has something to do with teh initial sync which never got off on the right foot. I thought some team was looking at this. what are their findings. And what do we ultimately do if this back and forth every 4 to 5 days doesn't resolve this?

02:10 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: I guess I will hear back in 4 to 5 business days

02:19 PM | myohannes@32analytics.com: can you guys tell me exactly what account, or class is causing us not to export? If not, can you reset the sync so we can start over?

---

Exported from Expensify on February 21, 2020 at 07:18 PM Pacific Time (US & Canada) time PST (GMT-0800)