How-to: Connect to Sage Intacct - User-based Permissions - Vendor Bills
For this setup guide, we're going to walk you through how to get your connection up and running as Vendor Bills with user-based permissions.
Checklist of items to complete:
- Create web services user and setup permissions
- Enable Customization Services (only applicable if you don't already use Platform Services)
- Create test policy and download Expensify Package
- Upload the Package in Sage Intacct
- Add web services authorization
- Enter credentials and connect Expensify and Sage Intacct
- Configure integration sync options
Step 1: Create a web services user with user-based permissions
Note: If the steps in this section look different in your Sage Intacct instance, you likely use role-based permissions. If that's the case, see the steps below on creating a web services user for role-based permissions.
We require that you set up a web services user to connect to Sage Intacct. This makes it easy to track the activity for this user in Sage Intacct (i.e. to see when you've exported expense reports and credit card charges to Sage Intacct from Expensify) and to ensure continuity whenever a person leaves or joins your accounting department. Please set up the web services user by following the steps below (Note: you won't be charged for the user):
Go to Company > Web Services Users > New
Set up the user like the screenshot below, making sure to do the following:
- User ID: “xmlgateway_expensify"
- Last name and First name: "Expensify"
- Email address: your shared accounting team email
- User type: "Business"
- Admin privileges: "Full"
- Status: "Active"
Once you've created the user, you'll need to set the correct permissions. To set those, go to the subscription link for this user in the user list, click on the checkbox next to the Application/Module and then click on the Permissions link to modify those.
These are the permissions the user needs to have if exporting reimbursable expenses as Vendor Bills:
- Administration (All)
- Company (Read-only)
- Cash Management (All)
- General Ledger (All)
- Accounts Payable (All)
- Projects (Read-only) (required if you're going to be using Projects and Customers)
Notice in the screenshot below that selecting the radio button next to the Permission you want > Save will set the permission for that particular Application/Module.
Step 2: Enable Customization Services (only applicable if you don't already use Platform Services)
To enable, go Company > Subscriptions > Customization Services (if you already have Platform Services enabled, you will skip this step).
Step 3: Create a test policy in Expensify and download Expensify package
The test policy will be used as a sandbox environment where we can test before going live with the integration. If you're already using Expensify, creating a test policy will ensure that your existing company policy rules, approval workflow, etc remain intact. In order to set this up:
- Go to expensify.com > Settings > Policies > Groups > New Policy
- Name the policy something like "Sage Intacct Test Policy"
- Go to Connections > Sage Intacct > Connect to Sage Intacct
- Select "I've completed these" if you've downloaded the Expensify package and taken the above steps in Intacct.
- Select Download Package (All you need to do is download the file. We'll upload it from your Downloads folder later.)
Step 4: Upload Package in Sage Intacct
If you use Customization Services:
- Customization Services > Custom Packages > New Package > Choose File > select the Package file from your downloads folder > Import
If you use Platform Services:
- Platform Services > Custom Packages > New Package > Choose File > select the Package file from your downloads folder > Import
Step 5: Add web services authorization
Go to Company > Company Info > Security in Intacct and click Edit. Next, scroll down to Web Services authorizations and add "expensify" (this must be all lower case) as a Sender ID:
Step 6: Enter credentials and connect Expensify and Sage Intacct
Now, go back to Settings > Policies > Groups > [Policy Name] > Connections > Configure > Connect to Sage Intacct and enter the credentials that you've set for your web services user. Click Send once you're done.
Step 7: Configure your connection
The following will help you complete your setup!