Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

We're currently experiencing issues with our American Express and Capital One connections. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Format specific (Date, Number) requirements for the Description Field

rgondorgondo Expensify Customer Posts: 28 Expensify Admirer

The Description field in the expense is currently free-text. This is not helpful for any range of expenses where formulas are used to calculate over a range of dates or other attributes.

Use Cases:

1) Hotel Nights - we ask that users input check-in/check-out dates on their hotel receipts. We use this to get an idea of total hotel nights spend over the quarter/period as well as calculate our average cost per night in specific regions.

Problem with the current functionality - As a free-text field, this does not help very much since people can enter whatever they want. A date field (checkin/checkout) option would be great.

2) Odometer readings on company vehicles - we ask users to submit odometer readings after each gas receipt. We use this to evaluate miles driven in a period/month, estimate depreciation on assets. We also are looking at the price of gas over time and measure MPG's for our trucks.

Problem with current functionality - Again, a required free-text field is not helpful (some people literally type "BLANK"), nor does it help when exporting the data - none of it is pivotable; I have to go in and clean up all the rows.

Benefits of Date and Numerical formats: Data can be pivoted. For example, using this I can count the total number of hotel nights by employee to help manage our hotel spend. For mileage, I can use formulas to automatically calculate our fuel use and MPG calculations.

2 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments