Best Practice for Reports and Tag Stucture for self-employed

Options
JJLond0n
JJLond0n Expensify Customer Posts: 17 Expensify Newcomer

Hi there,

I have just joined and I wondered if anyone here is self-employed and using expensify for both business and personal expense tracking?

I am new here and trying to work out the best structure between reports and tags.

I will be sending my business data into Xero.

A couple of my credit cards do not have direct feeds here, so I'm wondering if they need tags to make reconciliation easier?

I'll post again when I've watched the video, but I just wanted to get topline thoughts and I'm sure I'm not alone here so I figured someone else might already have done this?

Thank you all in advance!

best, Jenni

Best Answer

• Cortney Ofstad
    Cortney Ofstad Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 173 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @JJLond0n! Thanks for reaching out and welcome! The Community is a great place to connect with other customers on learning their tips and tricks for using Expensify.

However, in the meantime, I've gathered some information on the points you provided. first, in regards to reports and tags, tags are applied to specific expenses within a report to help classify it further, beyond categories.

With Xero, categories and tags are imported into Expensify from your Xero account. More information on this can be found here.

In terms of reconciliation, this can be handled a couple of different ways. For example, you could use tags to help organize those expenses when exporting to Xero, or you can also create separate policies (one for each card) in Expensify, so they export to their own appropriate account in Xero for easier reconciliation. For this, I also recommend reaching out to concierge@expensify.com with your specific details, so we can find the option that will best work for your needs.

Thanks again for taking the time to write in, and if you have any other questions or need anything else, please let me know!

Answers