Providing Finance Dept receipts with AmEx invoice

Options
davidk
davidk Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Newbie questions here. I did experiment and research, but no joy yet, and would be very grateful for your help.

My scenario is this:

I am a department head and incur 100+ monthly transactions against a corporate AmEx. I pay the Amex, provide receipts to Finance Dept, and am reimbursed each month. Most receipts come into my department by email. Documenting and tagging the receipts is a horrible timesuck. Expensify sounds perfect.

My questions:

1/ which personal or business plan fits best?

2/ can I automatically generate a report of receipts corresponding to the month's amex statement?

2a/ I've set up a connection to my AmEx. I don't understand how transactions are being divided into different reports.

3/ I'd like to report on transactions by corporate charge codes (CLIENT-AAA) and functions (WebHosting). When do I use tags vs categories?

4/ Do I treat the transaction receipts as non-reimbursable and the corresponding AmEx statement as reimbursable?

Thank you,

Muddlingin the Wilderness

Answers

• Jeremy Boniface
    Jeremy Boniface Expensify Team Posts: 202 Expensify Team
    Options

Thanks for joining the Community and apologies for the delayed reply!

1/ which personal or business plan fits best?

It depends -- do you plan on implementing approval workflows with Expensify, or are you going to use this only for your own expenses, which you'll submit to finance without a formal approval within Expensify? If you don't need to hook up your accounting integration or implement approval workflows, an Individual policy would likely work fine.

2/ can I automatically generate a report of receipts corresponding to the month's amex statement?

I'd recommend using Scheduled Submit for this, which will add your receipts to a report automatically as they come in, then automatically submit the report on a designated day of the month.

2a/ I've set up a connection to my AmEx. I don't understand how transactions are being divided into different reports.

I'd need to take a closer look here -- feel free to reach out to concierge@expensify.com for 1:1 troubleshooting.

3/ I'd like to report on transactions by corporate charge codes (CLIENT-AAA) and functions (WebHosting). When do I use tags vs categories?

Categories are typically used for GL accounts like Meals, Mileage, etc. Tags are typically used for everything else, like cost centers, customers, projects, departments, locations, etc.

4/ Do I treat the transaction receipts as non-reimbursable and the corresponding AmEx statement as reimbursable?

I think I'd need a better understanding of the user-case. If you need to be reimbursed for the expenses, they should be flagged as reimbursable. There's no concept in Expensify of a non-reimbursable expense on a reimbursable report.