Deep Dive: How does Pay-per-use billing work?

Rachael Hopkins
Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
edited August 2022 in Deep Dive Docs

Pay-per-use is a billing option for people who prefer to use Expensify every now and then. If you have expenses to manage for more than 6 out of 12 months, the optimal setup is an Annual Subscription.

On Pay-per-use you’ll pay only for your active users each month. That’s $18 per user for companies using the Expensify Card, and $36 for those not using the Expensify Card. If you have a Collect plan, that's $10 with the Expensify Card, and $20 without the Expensify Card.

Active Users

An Active User is anyone who chats, creates, modifies, submits, approves, reimburses or exports a report in Expensify, including Copilots and policy automation (such as Scheduled Submit and automated reimbursement). If no one on your Group Policy uses Expensify in a given month, you will not be billed for that month.

You can review the number of Active Users by selecting View Activity next to your billing receipt under Settings > Account > Payments > Billing History.

We recommend this billing setup only for users who use Expensify for a few months per year.

Why do I have just a few Pay-per-use users on my Expensify bill as well as my subscription?

If you have an Annual Subscription, but you go above your set user count, we will charge you at the Pay-per-use rate for these ad-hoc users.

If you expect to have an increased number of users for more than 3 out of 12 months, the most cost-effective approach is to increase your Annual Subscription size.

Note on Billing Currencies - We also have billing available in GBP, AUD and NZD. You can see the rates from our Pricing page. 

Downgrading

When downgrading to a Free account, you will always incur your Final Payment as a Pay-per-use bill if your policy members have been active in the current month up to the point you downgrade.

Related Articles:

Tagged: