Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that has been submitted per our instructions.

We're no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. Additionally, as of July 1, 2020, we will no longer accept new report submissions from existing policy members. Thanks for your understanding!

If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please direct them to Expensify.org/donate.

We're currently experiencing issues with our American Express and Capital One connections. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Surcharge on global policy Exchange Rate

CicilieCicilie Expensify Customer Posts: 1
edited June 8 in Ideas

Many of our employees travel abroad and hence we have a lot of travel expenses in foreign currencies. Expensify exchange rate is always lower than the one charged on credit cards and on cash payments. Why can we only add an exchange rate surcharge on the individual policy and not on the global?

As credit cards adds min. 2% on the daily average exchange rate, I should add this as a default surcharge on exchange rate on our Global Policies. I know one can to it on the individual policy, but as we are export to Netsuite, our employees can only submit our global defined policies.

2 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments

• Michelle NiemiMichelle Niemi Expensify Team Posts: 70 Expensify Team

@Cicilie That is a great idea! Please make sure to upvote your idea by clicking on the arrow under the votes.

• lcarconelcarcone Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I voted for that request because we also need this feature before to transition to Expensify.

Having an individual surcharge rather than a global surcharge is more work and can lead to errors.

In addition we would like this global surcharge to apply on the converted amount, not on the initial amount

Regards

• Matt MooreMatt Moore Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 67 Expensify Team

Hey @lcarcone,

Thanks for voting! While this seems like an obvious change that we'd be foolish not to make, I'd like to give extra clarity here.

We currently use a combination of an individual user's Default Policy and that policy's Default Currency to "qualify" a transaction for the foreign currency surcharge.

As Default Policy selection is down to individual users at present, and you'll hopefully see where I'm going with this, determining to apply the surcharge for potentially hundreds of users could lead to a big number of cases where the surcharge was applied incorrectly, or not at all, (through understandable user error). On the other hand, keeping this as a user-level setting ensures that the feature is applied correctly, or at least the individual understands why it didn't work in the way they wanted (i.e. the wrong policy was selected.)

That's not to say it's impossible to implement. I can imagine ways that we could, say, use the Restrict Primary Policy Selection option in Domains to minimize the risk of this happening, or qualify transactions on a different basis.

It'd be great to hear more use-cases here, including yours, so we can drill down a bit more.

Thanks!