Are there any plans to add a 2nd level of approval to a tag

jcopp38
jcopp38 Expensify Customer Posts: 2

For example, on any given project we have a PM and senior PM. It would be helpful to have the ability to create a workflow where, on a certain project, the PM would be the primary approver and the Senior PM would be the secondary appprover.

Answers

• John Schuster
    John Schuster Expensify Team Posts: 127 Expensify Team

Hey there, @jcopp38! There aren't any plans for something like this at the moment. Can you help me understand how you see that working? Would an expense that was coded with this particular tag always travel to the PM and then Senior PM for approval, or would this expense only qualify for additional approval from the Senior PM under certain circumstances?

• jcopp38
    jcopp38 Expensify Customer Posts: 2

I picture this working similarly to our accounting software, Viewpoint. In Viewpoint, A/P invoices coded to a particular job are reviewed by a reviewer group assigned to that job. You can set each job's reviewer group up differently. Typically, we assign a primary reviewer and a secondary reviewer. This differs with expensify slightly in that the primary and secondary reviewers can be different from job to job. In Expensify, I believe you can somewhat accomplish this by having a Tag reviewer (project manager) who then "submits to" someone else (the "someone else" being a senior project manager) The difference between Expensify and Viewpoint is that Viewpoint can have different people on each job, whereas, in Expensify, the tag reviewer can only have one person that he/she submits to. let me know if you'd like further clarification. i think it would be a useful feature.

• Sonia Liapounova
    Sonia Liapounova Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 210 Expensify Team

Thanks for the example @jcopp38!

You're correct, at the moment we can set up a flow that looks like this: Submitter -> SubmitsTo -> Project Managers from Tags. So we can get close to what you're describing but it would still include the submitter's fist level approver as listed in the Submits to field.

If that sounds like something you'd like to try out, let me know and I can get it enabled on your policy. If it's not quite what you're looking for I'd suggest adding this as a feature idea in the Ideas category here. This allows users to vote up ideas and helps us to gauge interest in the feature request. The most popular ideas have a real chance in being added as a feature.