New 'Duplicate Expense' button

Rachael Hopkins
Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

A quick update here for those not in this Idea thread - a new Duplicate Expense button has been added to both the Expenses page (when an expense is selected) and an expense itself. This button will create a quick copy of an expense with the current date and no receipt image.

A big thank you to all of the people involved in that thread who shared their myriad use cases and helped this wee feature come to fruition!

Comments

• Matt Allen
    Matt Allen Expensify Customer, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 10 Expensify Team
  • HALLDA
    HALLDA Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

I wish that worked for me. I press the "Duplicate" button and the screen refreshes. But no duplicate expense. Where do I find it?

• Christina Dobryzynski
    Christina Dobryzynski Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 267 Expensify Team
    edited August 2020

Hi @HALLDA! You should see the duplicated expense on the Expenses page of the web and mobile app.

To confirm this is the case, will you please sign-in to your Expensify account on the web app at www.expensify.com click the Expenses page and use the filters at the top of the page to search for all Unreported expenses?

You can add the expense to a report by clicking the checkbox to the left of the expense and choosing Add to Report in the upper right corner of the page.

If you'd like to have these duplicated expenses automatically add to an Open report, I recommend enabling Scheduled Submit in your group policy.

When Scheduled Submit is enabled, new expenses automatically add to an Open report so you'll never have an Unreported expense. You can learn more about Scheduled Submit here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• HALLDA

Thanks Christina. I have now found them - the problem was that the duplicated expenses are not located next to (or on the same date) as the original expense. So with a month date filter running, none of the duplicates were visible.

After checking just now, there are about 30 duplicates with todays date, which were the ones I was duplicating.

Why does the system not duplicate everything on the original expense, including the date? That is my idea of a duplicate :)

I have submitted these expenses previously for internal company reimbursement. I now need to add the same expenses to a new report that goes to the client. Seems a simple concept, but Expensify doesn't like it.

• Christina Dobryzynski
    Christina Dobryzynski Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 267 Expensify Team
    edited August 2020

Ah, thanks for the additional information, @HALLDA! You are correct, the date on the duplicated expense will automatically default to today's date.

Our reasoning behind this is duplicating an expense should be treated as an emergency setting. The best practice is creating a new expense via SmartScan or card import.

It is an option to click on the duplicated expense details and adjust the date of the duplicated expense.

I now need to add the same expenses to a new report that goes to the client. 

To understand this workflow, may I ask why you don't download the reimbursed report as a PDF and then email the PDF to your client?

I look forward to hearing from you!

• HALLDA

Thanks Christina. With regards to your workflow query, the problem is that I submit my expenses for a calendar month, and not all of the expenses in the month are for the same client.

I've found a workaround, but it is painful. I export the month report to CSV, and delete the rows that aren't relevant. This gives me a table with the required details. I then click the web link to the original PDF for each expense, download, rename and then save each individual PDF. I then recombine everything into a new report. Not a good use of my time, that's for sure.

If you can share with me a smarter way, that would be great :)

• Christina Dobryzynski

Ah, gotcha! Wow, yeah, let's troubleshoot a better way to do this.

My first thought is:

1) Create a group policy for each of your clients. Creating more group policies won't impact your monthly billing because we bill based on active users not the number of group policies.

2) Then you can create reports for each client and submit them to the client-specific group policy.

3) Once a month, you can submit all your reports to your company for reimbursement. Or you can use Scheduled Submit to submit these reports for you automatically.

4a) When you're ready to send the reports to your clients, you can download the reports as PDF's and email the PDF to your clients.

4b) Or, you can Share the reports to your clients and then will get an email with a link to open the report in Expensify.

Question: do you bill your clients for any of the expenses on the reports you send them? Thanks!

• KDunleap
    KDunleap Expensify Customer Posts: 3

I do not see the Duplicate button on my screen when I select an expense. In the upper right corner is Split, Export To and Add To Report. Duplicate does not appear.

• Zany Renney
    Zany Renney Approved! Accountant Posts: 171 Expensify Team

Hi there @KDunleap

Are you actually clicking into the Expense itself? The expense when opened up individually will have the following options at the bottom:

If you want to send a screenshot of what you're seeing that would be super helpful in diagnosing the issue!

• KDunleap

The description in my previous comment was the result from the Expenses page and an expense was selected.

Below is a screenshot when I click into the expense.

• Zany Renney

Hmm that's interesting. Sorry about that @KDunleap - Can you try and duplicate the Expense from the Expenses page using the tickbox and selecting it at the top, like so:

• KDunleap
  • Zany Renney

Thanks for letting me know and trying that for me! I also just checked within your account from my side and I can't see the "duplicate" option either @KDunleap

Can you please write in to concierge@expensify.com so we can work through this in live chat with you?

Thanks!