Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

choose method of payment for manual entries + foreign language support

kimsthecoolestkimsthecoolest Expensify Customer Posts: 2

i'm in japan and travel extensively throughout asia, whose languages are not latin character based. this means i have to manually enter all my transactions.

it'd be helpful for me to be able to change the method of payment while doing so, since right now it's set that manual entries are cash only.. but it's difficult for me to keep track of expenses after the fact if i have to wait for cc transactions to sync.

thanks,

kim

0 votes

Already supported · Last Updated

I think this is already supported - changing the Idea status until we learn more.

Comments

• Sophie Pinto-RaetzSophie Pinto-Raetz Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 75 Expensify Team

Hi Kim, it feels like there are two issues you're encountering:

1) SmartScan does not read non-Latin characters

2) Change the method of payment of expense

Regarding 1), I understand that this is not ideal with non-Latin characters but so long as the number total is clear (e.g. 56.70) then the amount should be picked up. However, we are yet to build out functionality for non-Latin based characters and are tracking requests such as these to consider the prioritisation of implementing this functionality.

Regarding 2) I'm not sure I quite understand. Expensify will mark a receipt as a Cash expense until it has merged with a credit card transaction. This is also not possible to change but I'm not clear on what trouble you mean by keeping track?

• kimsthecoolestkimsthecoolest Expensify Customer Posts: 2

thanks for your response.

1. good to know that the numerical values are picked up by the scan, however since i'll still need to enter in all other relevant, non-readable details (vendor, notes, categorization) this is not super useful.
    2. when chatting with support on the app, i didn't understand that expensify would classify all entries as cash UNTIL it has merged with a credit card transaction. cool! however, how will it match up with the currency exchange? say i enter the expense into expensify as 5000 yen, and my cc will convert it to $47.09 usd (based on today's rate). what if there is a slight difference on the conversion say, if expensify uses a different conversion rate than my cc. will it still match up then?

thanks,

kim

• Christina DobryzynskiChristina Dobryzynski Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 178 Expensify Team

Thanks for the additional information @kimsthecoolest!

When two currencies are at play for a given purchase, the cash and credit card expenses should merge as long as the converted rates are within +/- 5%.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!