QuickBooks Account Categories

Options
bvlich
bvlich Expensify Customer Posts: 1

One major issue I have noticed is that when you sync with QuickBooks, any new account categories you create are automatically turned "ON" for use in the Expensify policy. Let's say you create an account called "Employee John Smith Loan" - everyone would see this account by default unless you remember to manually turn it OFF after syncing. It would be much better if new accounts were turn OFF by default or if there was some sort of option to have them OFF by default. I don't always know when someone adds a new account, yet syncing needs to have frequently every time a new vendor is added.

One other item:

If there are 2 people for example that are a company (2 email addresses), we cannot presently sync the Expensify as a bill under one account without changing the email in QB. It would be ideal if you could have more than one email sync to a single vendor in QB by using the cc Email field or maybe a separator (, or;) in the email field. This would make it much easier when a vendor has more them one user of an Expensify policy.

Answers

• John Schuster
    John Schuster Expensify Team Posts: 127 Expensify Team
    Options

Hey there, @bvlich! When a category is imported from your directly-integrated accounting system, it is indeed defaulted to the "ON" position. This allows any new categories to be available upon sync, rather than the opposite of having to individually enable each new category upon sync. These categories are then made available for any user submitting a report under the specific policy.

I say that because, if you would like to control the visibility of certain categories for your users, the best way to do that would be to separate your users into separate policies such that each group only sees the specific categories pertaining to them.

It sounds like it comes as a bit of a shock to log into Expensify, check the policy categories, and happen upon a new category that you didn't create, but I think the best approach for that will be to work with your team internally to better document the addition of new categories in your accounting system.

Regarding your second question - I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what you're trying to accomplish.

It sounds like you might be saying that you would like more than one Expensify account to be able to map to the same Vendor Record in QuickBooks but I struggle to understand why.

Can you help me understand what it is you're trying to do? I'd love to point you in the right direction if I'm able!