Understanding reimbursement timing while using ACH in Expensify

GodzillaGodzilla Posts: 11Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
edited February 20 in Day to Day

Why does it take 5 business days for reimbursement to occur? Are you guys off planet? If so, you need to get a local rep to speed up the reimbursement process. Some of our people shell out several thousand and travel for several weeks. So, by the time they submit and I review and reimburse, the credit card company (or the spouse) is screaming.

Best Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,849 Expensify Success Coach
    Accepted Answer

The team has put together a great guide on understanding reimbursement timing in Expensify. You can find that in our Help Centere here.

• David BarrettDavid Barrett Posts: 1 Expensify Success Coach
    edited May 27 Accepted Answer

Hi there, sorry for the confusion on this.  Depending on the exact timing, funds take up to one day to move via the ACH network, so that explains two of the days: one for us to get the funds, and one to disperse them to the employee. However, in between we hold onto the funds for three days in order to ensure that the business doesn't dispute the withdrawal. If they do, we return the funds to the business, and if they don't, we give them to the employee. So, one day to withdraw, three days to give the company a chance to dispute, and then one day to deposit, equals five days.

As for suggestions that we earn interest on the "float" of the funds, unfortunately we don't: they are held at our processing bank in a settlement account that generates no interest -- at least, not to us. (That said, interest rates have been at a historic low for years, so there really isn't any business opportunity in this anyway.) The only reason we hold the funds is to ensure we don't get left holding the bag in case the business disputes the withdrawal *after* we give out the funds to the employee.

So, I'm sorry it's not faster. It goes as fast as we know how to make it in a way that mitigates risk of fraud. Thanks for asking!

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,849Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hello @Godzilla!

The normal window for processing ACH withdrawals is 4 to 5 business days. For reports of $100 or less we are able to reimburse in a single business day.

If we make changes to this window in the future, our Product Update category is a great place to stay up to date with Expensify.

• GodzillaGodzilla Posts: 11Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

@Sheena Trepanier
    According to NACHA (they manage all ACH transactions), currently most ACH transactions are processed the next business day. Why does it take 4-5 business days for you?

• jjoejjoe Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

The last post has not been addressed and I am seeking answers as to what is preventing rapid reimbursements to reports greater than $100.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,849Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @godzilla, sorry for missing your previous reply. The processing time for ACH reimbursement greater than $100 is 4 to 5 business days and sadly there is nothing we can do to speed this up. The request for funds is sent to the withdrawal account, that account sends funds to the employee's deposit account, and the employee's bank accepts and posts the reimbursement. This process takes a few days, and you'll also need to take into account bank holidays and bank processing cutoff times. I'm sorry there isn't more we can do to speed this up for you.

Hi @jjoe, thanks for posting. The $100 limit on Next Day Reimbursement can only be raised in very specific circumstances. If you're interested to know the requirements please reach out to [email protected] with your request and my team can go over the account specifics with you.

Thanks!

• ShibbyShibby Posts: 1Expensify Customer

I worked in the ACH department for a bank for almost 4 years. The information you're giving isn't true. As long as the ACH is received before the cutoff time, it's available the next business. What's the real reason the ACH deposits are not available the next business day? 4-5 days is outrageous...

Hi @Shibby, the 4 to 5 business day processing time also includes sending the request to the withdrawal account, transferring the funds from the withdrawal account to the deposit account, and the receiving bank posting the reimbursement.

This processing time is typical for ACH reimbursement and sadly there is not any way we can increase this processing time right now.

Cheers!

• jmcgalejmcgale Posts: 1Expensify Customer

What if the deposit bank and withdrawal bank are the same? For instance what if my company and I both use Bank of America?

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 915Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @jmcgale - that will still depend on your bank. In NZ (where I am) this sort of transfer is instant when done with the bank directly.

However, as above, the ACH process includes sending the request from us, to the bank, then the banks do their bit, then the transfer happens.

So I would work on whatever your bank's timing is, plus a business day for processing at each end.

• mmadridmmadrid Posts: 1Expensify Customer

Hi everyone, the reason the ACH reimbursements take so long is because part of Expensify's business model involves holding the money for a period of time (much like Venmo). I think it's a reasonable business model (and I prefer this over paying more) but I'm not sure why they're not just being straightforward about it?

Hi @mmadrid, thanks for chiming in. Expensify does not hold any of the funds that are sent for ACH reimbursements. The funds go directly from the company withdrawal account to the employee's deposit account with no one in the middle having access to those funds.

Cheers!

• KkinzKkinz Posts: 1Expensify Customer

"The funds go directly from the company withdrawal account " Maybe so, but there is still a period of time however short or long that Expensify's withdrawal account does "hold the money"...

According to your https://docs.expensify.com/reimbursement-timing

"Expensify is not a bank, so we do not issue reimbursements ourselves. Rather, your company will initiate a reimbursement from their own bank account, and we will facilitate the transfer of those funds by first withdrawing the funds from them, and then, once those funds are guaranteed, sending them to the recipient's account."

"by first withdrawing the funds from them, and then, once those funds are guaranteed" That sure sounds very much like Expensify DOES have possession of the funds prior to sending them to the recipients' account...

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 915Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @Kkinz, the payments go to through the ACH Network. The reimbursement payment is deducted from your bank account and goes to the Automated Clearing House where it settles and is then distributed to your employee bank account.

In the US, I believe your banks often also hold funds for longer, for anti-fraud checks.

If you prefer not to use the ACH network, you can always process the payments directly via your bank or payroll system, outside of Expensify, and mark reports are manually reimbursed. This is what those of us outside the USA do. 😀

Feel free to read-up on the ACH links above to help you decide whether you want to use this facility!

• robbosdrobbosd Posts: 1Expensify Customer

The response here makes no sense. If we trigger an ACH internally through our bank, it's deposited the next day, provided we get it in before noon. The real question here is why are you holding funds? At most, you should be triggering our bank to release the funds to our employees. We've approved the reports and the reimbursements. Get out of the way and remove yourself from the equation.