Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

Please bring back my "Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars"

GaryShun92GaryShun92 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hi, I log into Expensify and found out that the "little stars" feature that pushed all approved expense reports have disappeared, and it causes a huge mess as it mixed up with expense reports that are still under "unapproved" stages. Please bring back the old "little stars" feature as this is important for us to visualize which expense reports have been final approved by their respective manager. Without this feature, it will be very hard & time consuming job to manage each expense reports.

Please bring back my "Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars".

Thank you,

Gary

7 votes

Live feature released! · Last Updated

Another Idea for this here: https://community.expensify.com/discussion/comment/18241#Comment_18241Tue

Comments

• Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 82 Expensify Team

Hi @GaryShun92

Can you explain what you mean by "that pushed all your approved expense reports"?

Yes, we have removed the starred feature. Starred reports were added a long time ago before we had the concept of the "Inbox", they were used to try to surface the reports that need your attention, but as these reports now appear in your Inbox, we didn't see this as super useful to out customers anymore.

Let me know if I can help provide more detail or help with your use case!

• GaryShun92GaryShun92 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hi @Zany Renney,

It means that I only need to select those Starred reports for my next step.

Without this feature, can you please advise me how should I select those reports that required my attention?

Thanks,

Gary

• Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 82 Expensify Team

Hi @GaryShun92

Any reports that required you to take actions should already appear within your Inbox, which is where you can work through these in your own convenience.

Thanks!

• JuliaJulia Expensify Customer Posts: 153 Expensify Pro

Also, if you insist on not bringing back the starts, PLEASE update it so your reports view can see more than 250 at a time. This is going to be impossible for me to constantly pivot back and forth between multiple screens of data trying to grab all the reports I'm trying to export and then bulk approve.

• Ted HarrisTed Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 296 Expensify Team

I never have and never will use the guided review function in my inbox

Why is that @Julia? Is it only because "the guided review doesn't always show me the data I'm truly looking at"? If so, what is the data you're looking at and how could we make sure that is included in the guided review process?

• Ted HarrisTed Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 296 Expensify Team

Awesome feedback, thanks @Julia! One final thing I'd ask is that you get those managers to also throw their vote onto this idea as well.

• PinterestPinterest Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hello,

We also do not find the inbox useful whatsoever as admins. We work from the Reports list and use the stars to sort manager approved reports and reports pending our approval.

• Nicole MendoncaNicole Mendonca Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 86 Expensify Team
    edited October 7

Hi @Pinterest, thanks for getting in touch! Can you please elaborate what you mean by "sort manager approved reports"?

Reports pending approval will always be in the Inbox of the person who's approval is actually pending.

@Nicole Mendonca The manager approved reports are marked as stars that indicates to us that it's on us to review and approve. As an admin we never use the inbox to go into every single report to audit. Instead we bulk export all the starred reports into an excel document and do our audits through there. Once we select reports that are out of policy we go into the Expensify report to take action. All other reports are bulk approved.

The star feature just be left for admins. I'll bet $500 that you guys don't do it though.

• Nicole MendoncaNicole Mendonca Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 86 Expensify Team

@Pinterest thanks for that additional insight! Is there a reason you don't do your audits in Expensify? Specifically with Guided Review?

As mentioned already, don't forget to add your vote above!

@Nicole Mendonca because we go through hundreds of reports a week. Clicking into each one isn't very efficient.

• VenneseVennese Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

With the star, I could manage the bulk review on the expense report as I am the final approver before payment. We are doing multiple countries and regions, STAR could really help me sorting and filtering the report. I would highly support the old feature instead of removing it as I don't see any benefit / help in our daily workloads. Thank you.

• Christina DobryzynskiChristina Dobryzynski Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 200 Expensify Team

Thanks for the extra information, @BeeYee_90 and @Vennese!

It's super helpful for us to understand how the star has been helping you with your workflow!

Am I right in understanding that another option would be to change the Report page filters so you can see all reports that still need action? Thanks for sharing! 

• VenneseVennese Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

@Christina Dobryzynski

Thanks for your prompt response.

Yes we do have different cut-off date for different countries, therefore we pick up the report according to date then leave the pending report with star for next cycle without any action of review.

This also part of the main concern on our process flow, am not sure if you have better advise on it?

• Angelica_CheahAngelica_Cheah Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Hi Expensify team,

I'm facing same situation where without star symbol report it is difficult to check those report is ready and pending finance team to review

Also when need to export those report process report in PDF file , it was easily mess up with report pending staff line manager approval as all reports are same due to no special symbol to differentiate them

Could you add the "star" feature back just like previous setting ?

Thank you

• Matt MooreMatt Moore Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 105 Expensify Team

Hi @Angelica_Cheah, thanks for adding a comment and welcome to the Community!

I'm trying to understand how your use-case is different from our Guided Review feature, that's part of the Inbox.

Could you elaborate on why the two features are different? Thanks!

• Angelica_CheahAngelica_Cheah Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Hi @Matt Moore, thanks for your welcoming

Instead of I elaborate two features different between Star report and Guided Review in Inbox , could you explain " Guided Review feature, that's part of the Inbox" how to make our work as efficient as the STAR symbol report ? Thanks!

• KrisnonprofitKrisnonprofit Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I'm having a hard time understanding why Expensify coaches are expecting us, their users, to explain why a feature was helpful, instead of simply taking our word for it that this made their product so much more user friendly and removing it makes using their product more difficult on our part.

From the inbox/concierge, there are reports on there that I'm not supposed to do anything with (which I can filter out on the "Reports" tab and I cannot filter out on the inbox tab.

I absolutely loathe the credit card marketing (a feature we will never use at our org) and how we are unable to dismiss that prompt, let alone de-prioritize it beneath the work that we actually have to accomplish.

My org has 3-4 people at any given time reviewing open reports, and the star feature was an awesome way of quickly being able to switch from report to report that I owned. It was also a very helpful visual cue, and now it just looks like a mess of reports that I have no idea where they are in the process.

Please take the word of all of the users who have complained: this feature is one of Expensify's best, and to remove it makes me significantly less satisfied with your product.

• Michelle NiemiMichelle Niemi Expensify Team Posts: 91 Expensify Team

I apologize for any frustration. Expensify is moving toward making the actions within the web the same as the actions on the mobile app. The Star symbol was not on option on the mobile. The guided review can be completed on both web as well as mobile. This leads to less user confusion when changing between the two.

• BlairCFOBlairCFO Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Agreed, bring the stars back, approvers in my organization are all complaining about their loss (and noticed immediately, I had several panicked texts and emails last night and this morning). Add the stars to the app if you want to, but users don't like the inbox, its confusing and you worry you forget things.

• evgeniya_aevgeniya_a Expensify Customer Posts: 18 Expensify Newcomer

Agree very strongly with everything above!

I NEVER use the inbox. Reports page is much more useful for this because you can filter reports you're reviewing - ex. say by policy, date or user.

Loved the starts - great visual clue to know that this report is waiting for YOUR approval, not someone else's.

Never use guided review. Majority of issues we have are not flagged (ex. wrong categories used by employees, taxes, missing attendees). Things that are flagged are oftentimes irrelevant - ie. updated tax code (big deal!)

Lastly, feel super frustrated that our entire company receives ad emails ("use expensify to process bills"), but admins don't receive heads up on important updates such as the stars & policy tag being moved to a side bar. Adding to the frustration is the never-helpful concierge and robo-answers, which never answer your real question.

Sorry, Expensify. Very frustrated indeed, don't mean to be rude, but ughh..

• Sasha KlugerSasha Kluger Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 90 Expensify Team

Hi all - after hearing from the customers on this Ideas post, along with many other customers who relied on this feature, we have decided to bring back starred reports. You'll notice them again in your Expensify account as of today.

Thank you all so much for your feedback on this feature and the product as a whole, we really appreciate your input!

• GaryShun92GaryShun92 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hi Sasha, thank you for your kind assistance, really much appreciate that!!