Transaction import from Wells Fargo paused. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Add description on policies

AnaquaKPAnaquaKP Expensify Customer Posts: 26 Expensify Newcomer

I'd love to see the capability to add a non-user facing description on each policy. It would be helpful to me (and likely others) to help differentiate the policies without complicating anything for the users. For example, I have employees who need to be reimbursed in EUR and GBP, but all need to import into one subsidiary in NetSuite. Right now, in order to keep things simple on the user facing end, I have one policy named Europe 1 and other named Europe 2. Keeping them straight isn't too cumbersome, but as my company grows, we might have a need for a Europe 3, 4, etc. If we can add a description to the policies, it will help me and other admins keep their policy setups straight while continuing to scale.

1 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments

• John SchusterJohn Schuster Expensify Team Posts: 89 Expensify Team

Hey there, @AnaquaKP! Thanks for chiming in!

Is there any reason you couldn't rename each policy to include the output currency in the name, like "Europe (EUR)" and "Europe (GBP)"?

I typically recommend creating the least amount of policies a company can get away with. The only reasons I suggest creating additional policies is for the exact reasons you've mentioned: Output currency and Subsidiary differences.

Essentially, each policy has a limit of one Output currency and one Subsidiary, and if you are exporting reports to more than one Subsidiary or more than one Output currency, that constitutes a solid reason to whip up an additional policy.

I mention that as I also have some curiosity about the "Europe 3" and "Europe 4" policies you're considering. Do you require these policies because of Output currency differences/Subsidiary differences? If so, is there any reason why you cannot include these differences in the policy name?

• AnaquaKPAnaquaKP Expensify Customer Posts: 26 Expensify Newcomer

Hi @John Schuster, thanks for the response!

We do have the output currency/subsidiary differences across most of our subs and currencies. We have GBP in Europe, UK, and US, and we have EUR in Europe, UK, and US. We can add the currency in the policy name, but we don't want to add the sub name to the policy because it ends up confusing our users if the sub name doesn't match what they would assume their expenses should be under.

I hope that all makes sense!

Yep! That definitely makes sense.

Quick question on this:

but we don't want to add the sub name to the policy because it ends up confusing our users if the sub name doesn't match what they would assume their expenses should be under.

What is it about your subsidiaries that would be particularly confusing to your employees? Do your employees not know what subsidiary they are members of?

I'm struggling to understand where the confusion would come from, but I also don't know your employees like you do. I'd love to understand!

Hi @John Schuster. Our employees understand which subsidiary they work under, but often times we have to record certain employee's expenses under specific subsidiaries to make sure everything aligns with the way the budget was set up. So we may have a subsidiary set up in NetSuite that is solely for reporting and since that isn't something each employee is aware of, it can really complicate things. It's less of an issue right now since we don't have a huge amount of expenses coming through the system, but I imagine that once travel picks up again, I'd be getting lots of questions about why someone is on the policy they are on.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for helping me connect the dots on that!

often times we have to record certain employee's expenses under specific subsidiaries to make sure everything aligns with the way the budget was set up. So we may have a subsidiary set up in NetSuite that is solely for reporting and since that isn't something each employee is aware of, it can really complicate things.

Can you help me understand the flow for this practice a bit better? Let's say I'm your employee.

I submit a report through Subsidiary 1, but you need to record my expenses under a different subsidiary. How are you handling this? Are you changing my report to a different policy for submission, or does my report travel through the Subsidiary 1 policy, export to NetSuite, and then get shuffled around on the NetSuite side?

We actually have the policy the employee is submitting under set up to upload directly to the sub we need it to in NetSuite. So if you were to submit a report in the policy you're assigned to, it will be uploaded to the correct sub.

That sounds good so far! So, at which point in the process would you need to shuffle things around so my expenses align with the right budget? Would you ever need to change my Report Policy or change the subsidiary my reports are exporting to?

It's usually just a one time thing, so once it's determined that an employee's expenses need to hit a certain sub, it'll stay that way. I guess my goal as an admin is just to make sure that everything on the back end works, while making sure my end users are able to navigate the system and policies without confusion. My concern is that adding subsidiary information that is visible to the users is just going to make things more complicated.

I totally get where you're coming from! Hrm... do your users ever submit their expenses through more than one policy? I ask because it's possible to lock your users into a specific policy for submitting their expenses, which would reduce the ability for them to see other policies to choose from.

Could something like that help here?

So this is where it gets a little more complex. We also need to report on specific airfare expense items like To and From, so in order to add those fields on just airfare expense categories, I needed to create an additional policy that is used for only airfare expenses. That means that every employee can submit on two policies. Both policies are exactly the same in the back end (currencies, subsidiaries, etc.) but they can only choose airfare on the airfare specific policy so that we can capture the additional data. That said, one manager might need to be on multiple sets of policies in order to approve expense reports. So one manager might be on 10 policies, for example.

Ah, I see what you're referring to! That's definitely a clever way to track that information.

Is there a particular reason why you track Departure and Arrival airports through Expensify? I'll admit, it's a very clever hack, but admittedly, it's not something we really support straight out of the box. When you book travel, do you use any sort of travel booking software that might report the Departure and Arrival airports? That might provide a better experience for you!

Tracking the Departure and Arrival airports is a new reporting requirement we've been given, so we had to make do with what we have. We're not using any travel software yet, but I agree, that type of tool will likely provide the reporting out of the box that we need.

Thanks so much for the conversation this afternoon!

No problem! It's been a pleasure getting to chat this out with you!