Add Rejected Flag to resubmitted reports

KatFlanaganKatFlanagan Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

Hello, it would be helpful if we could have a flag on the report face (above the header fields) that tallies the number of times it was rejected. This is because some incentives for our traveling teams is tied into timely and accurate expense report submittal.

2 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments

• John SchusterJohn Schuster Expensify Team Posts: 96 Expensify Team

Hey there, @KatFlanagan! Thanks for sharing your idea! Can you help me understand this one a bit better? I'm hearing two different things that I'd love to break down a bit more.

You mentioned that you incentivize timely submission of reports. Is there any reason why you can't simply automate submissions via Scheduled Submit? With Scheduled Submit, you can have reports automatically submitted on a regular cadence that works for your admin team without the additional overhead of individual follow up. Further, Scheduled Submit will hold back transactions that do not meet your policy's requirements, which means that the submitted report will always meet your rules.

Pretty cool, right?

I'd love to understand more about the benefits of having a tally system or similar for report rejections as well, but I think I'll stop there for now in case Scheduled Submit can resolve this behavior on its own.

Let me know your thoughts!

• KatFlanaganKatFlanagan Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer
    edited November 2020

Hi John,

Thanks for checking back! We leave it up to the employees whether they want to use the scheduled submit feature or not. In the past we've found it to be ineffective since not all expenses post and sync over from Amex within a specific timeframe. They are sometimes/often delayed which causes confusion if the report was submitted without all the expenses.

The real problem we are trying to solve is when an employee submits an expense report knowing it isn't complete just to make it within the required submission timeframe. This ends up in the report being rejected, sometimes more than once, which puts it well outside the submission timeframe. At which point, the report is no longer considered within policy and incentives are withheld.

So you see, if an expense report is submitted (even automatically via scheduled submit) but isn't complete and is rejected and now falls outside of the allowed window then we need to be able to identify them. A flag on the report that shows the number of times it was rejected would help because the team responsible for processing incentives would quickly see it was rejected and can look into why. As well, they can identify employees who are repeatedly submitting incomplete expense reports and remind them of the corporate expense report policy.

I hope that clarifies my request.

• April BekkalaApril Bekkala Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 88 Expensify Team

Hi @KatFlanagan,

There is a restriction you can put in place within domain settings that will force all rules/policy expense settings to be in place prior to a report having the ability to be submitted, either manually or via schedule submit.

Within the domain settings is the Groups tab. Each group has an "Edit" button to set specific permissions for that group of people. One of them is Strictly enforce expense policy rules. This means, when toggled on, every rule and regulation on the policy must be met before a report can be submitted. But Caution - this will prevent members from submitting any reports where a manager has granted them a manual exception for any of the policy rules.

This will then prevent employees from submitting reports that don't meet your policy guidelines while also preventing the back/forth of rejecting a report multiple times.

• KatFlanaganKatFlanagan Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

Hi April, I'm aware of the Stricly enforce expense policy rules. We have it enabled.

The policy I'm referring to is our internal Corporate Expense Report Policy which states employees has 15 days from the completion of travel to submit their expense report.

To my knowledge Expensify does not have a mechanism to track the final day of travel to begin counting down the 15 day submission window.

But that's besides the point, the feature that we are asking for is a flag on the report that shows the number of times it was rejected in compliance with our Corporate Expense Report Policy.

• Lauren SchurrLauren Schurr Expensify Team Posts: 101 Expensify Team

Thanks for clarifying, @KatFlanagan! I'll be sure to pass along your feedback and leave this Idea open for other users to chime in on.