What would happen if two (or more) employees' vendor profiles in QBO had the same email?

pdonnelly
pdonnelly Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

This is somewhat of a theoretical question, but since Expensify sync's bills to QBO using the employee/vendor email, what would happen if more than one vendor profile in QBO had the same email? Does Expensify have a process for distinguishing the correct vendor to assign the bill, or would this cause an error?

We use Expensify to send reimbursable expense reports over to QBO as a bill to an employee "vendor", and while each employee has one distinct email address, I am curious about what would happen if that email ended up on multiple QBO vendor profiles. I'm sure the circumstances for this are few, but this could occur, most obviously, by simple human error. More broadly, there may be specific use cases for creating two vendor profiles for a single employee (e.g., for 1099 purposes if someone both works directly for a company but is also separately compensated as an independent party for work out of scope from their normal duties). Admittedly, the cases where this might occur are fringe scenarios, but they are possible nonetheless.

I've seen others asking for the ability to map users/employees within Expensify to specific vendors in QBO, and I'm curious why this is not available instead of the email based sync'ing.

Best Answer

• Zany Renney
    Zany Renney Approved! Accountant Posts: 171 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hi @pdonnelly -

That is a great question but the second half of that pertains to quite a niche use case that might be easier to discuss in live chat via concierge@expensify.com (please send us a message so we can talk you through exactly how to configure this for your account correctly!)

However - relating to your main question about "What would happen if more than one vendor profile in QBO had the same email?"

Expensify would not be able to successfully export the report, not knowing which vendor is the correct one to export to.

What you would need to do is update the record, (to remove the email address in one record) or ideally just remove that duplicate vendor.

Additionally, you should make sure you disable "automatically create vendors" in your QuickBooks Online Expensify configuration, and make sure the email on the existing vendor matches the email in Expensify.

I'd also advise getting familiar with this document so we can assist you more quickly when you write in.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Answers

• pdonnelly
    pdonnelly Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Thanks Zany -- this is pretty much what I expected, thanks for confirming. I originally reached out to concierge, but while awaiting a response thought that this particular question might be valuable to broader community as well. This is not an immediate concern for us, but wanted to better understand potential limitations to the integration and things we should be aware of when setting up employees as vendors.

• Zany Renney
    Zany Renney Approved! Accountant Posts: 171 Expensify Team

Thanks @pdonnelly - yes, we love when customers use the Community, as many questions have been asked before and can also help others so thank you for writing here whilst you were waiting to here from Concierge!

I understand it is not an immediate concern, but feel free to reach out when you are looking to use the integration so we can walk you through it!