Expensify.org is accepting proposals for new campaigns. Submit yours here by April 30th to receive up to $100,000 in funding for campaigns dismantling injustice related to: Climate, Homes, Hunger, Reentry, or Youth.

Please allow the ability to create Rules based on specific credit cards

CoryPattakCoryPattak Expensify Customer Posts: 3

I love the ability to create Rules to automatically add Tags, assign to reports, etc but they are all based on the name of the Merchant. I would love the same flexibility to create a rule based on a specific credit card. Example: I have a personal and biz credit card. I want to be able to create a Rule that takes any transaction (regardless of Merchant) that comes in on the personal card and assign it to a specific report (Personal Expenses.) All transactions on the Business card would get auto-assigned to a different report (Business Expenses). There is already a 'Settings' button for each credit card, in that same window I'd like to be able to "Automatically Apply..." and then see the same 7 field options I see in the Rules set up window.

thanks!

1 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments

• Sasha KlugerSasha Kluger Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 115 Expensify Team

Hi @CoryPattak, thanks for the idea!

A few of the fields in Expense Rules can already be configured for imported credit card transactions. As you mentioned, the card settings allow you to set the defeault reimbursable status for each card. And we allow all customers to set up Auto-Categorization based on MCC Codes in your policy.

Outside of assigning specific card transactions to certain reports, which other fields would you want to set the same for every card transaction?

• CoryPattakCoryPattak Expensify Customer Posts: 3

Hi Sasha,

It's possible I just don't know how to do what I'm asking for. The Rules currently allow you to set Merchant, Category, Tag, Description, Reimbursability, Billable, and Report. The only one of those that I see avail in the Credit Card settings is the Reimbursement one, are there others? I'm not sure I'm familiar with what you are referring to re the MCC codes. I specifically am most interesting in being able to Auto-Assign to a Report, (which typically would contain multiple different Merchants) but I suppose others might be interested in other fields.

thanks

Cory

• Sasha KlugerSasha Kluger Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 115 Expensify Team

Thanks for clarifying! MCC Codes are Merchant Category Codes, and they correspond to business categories. Credit cards assign an MCC to each merchant and we allow companies to map MCCs to different categories to automatically categorize credit card transactions.

Regarding adding different card expenses to different expense reports, that's not possible to do automatically today. The easiest way I can think of to separate transactions from different cards onto different reports is from the Expenses page. On the Expenses page, you can set the filters to show expenses from one card, then select all the Unreported/Open transactions and click "Add to report" at the top right to choose a report to add those transactions to.

Feel free to leave this idea post up, but hopefully that solution above helps streamline your process a bit!

• CoryPattakCoryPattak Expensify Customer Posts: 3

yeah that's pretty much what I'm doing now. Going in and selecting the Category and the Report myself. Since I have one CC for just Biz, and one for just Personal, and reports that correspond to those two parts of my life, it's a bit of a drag I have to go in and manually assign that report every time. So that's what I was looking for, just a way to link that report to the card itself. But it's not a huge deal. Maybe a feature for the future.

thanks!

Cory

Got it, makes sense! Thanks again for the feedback and context!