Expensify.org is accepting proposals for new campaigns. Submit yours here by April 30th to receive up to $100,000 in funding for campaigns dismantling injustice related to: Climate, Homes, Hunger, Reentry, or Youth.

Allow Domain Admins to Global Opt-Out of Emails

AnaquaKPAnaquaKP Expensify Customer Posts: 28 Expensify Newcomer

I'd love to see a setting adding for Domain Admins to opt all domain members out from receiving news/update emails from Expensify.

2 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments

• JuliaJulia Expensify Customer Posts: 155 Expensify Pro

Agreed- these emails are very disruptive and a lot of users feel like it's an overreach of their privacy rights.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 810 Expensify Team

Hi @AnaquaKP users' account settings belong to them alone, and they can opt-out of emails under Settings > Account > Preferences. They'll want to deselect the Expensify News option.

• AnaquaKPAnaquaKP Expensify Customer Posts: 28 Expensify Newcomer
    edited January 19

Hi @Rachael Hopkins - I would respectfully disagree. These accounts do not belong to our users as the subscription is company paid and is set up under the company domain. This situation is similar to the Expensify Card. Our users were getting inundated with information about a card that management had already decided to not use. The notifications are confusing to our users and frustrating as an admin when I can't simply control what information our users do and don't see when using a company paid subscription service.

• Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 125 Expensify Team

I hear where you are coming from @AnaquaKP and I apologise for your frustration.

As Rach mentioned above though, the only way to stop receiving these communications is for the user's to take this action in each of their accounts through the steps she illustrated.

We're passionate about injustice and only ever seek to empower our users, not to confuse them. I hope you have a chance to look into what David suggested in the Newsletter and submit a proposal which you are passionate about too!

• David123xyzDavid123xyz Expensify Customer Posts: 3

Wow, that's a crazy position that Expensify takes on this issue. I have the same problem, and of course the company is so arrogant they don't take customer calls live. I have the same issue, and find it ridiculous that we can't control the messaging to our our employees when we actually are paying for the service as a company.

• Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 125 Expensify Team
    edited January 19

Hi there @David123xyz

The reason we don't take calls live for troubleshooting is not because of a position of arrogance, but I do apologise if it comes across that way. It is actually to save our customers time. You don't sit in a call queue waiting for an answer, but instead are able to chat with any of our global Customer Success team round the clock. On average, you should hear back within 2 minutes.

I am also happy to discuss your concerns with you in the community here 😊If you'd like your whole team to not be contacted by Expensify and our newsletters, I would recommend sending out a mailer to any of the employees on Expensify with the guidance on how to unsubscribe from newsletters.

We have received a really positive response from our latest newsletter, with many campaign proposals submitted already - please take a look and see if it is something you might be interested in, as we would love to hear your ideas to get matched funding for a project fighting injustice.

• David123xyzDavid123xyz Expensify Customer Posts: 3

Putting the lack of live support aside for the moment, why would Expensify conclude it's ok to communicate to our employees about new products, or express political views? Regardless of the content, I find that offensive. As the employer and the one paying for the service, I should be able to control the communications to my people.

I really would like to speak to someone live about this.

Hi there @David123xyz

I think there has been a little miscommunication here - we do provide live chat, you can access this via Expensify.com on web or via the mobile app, all you need to do is hit this blue chat icon in your account:

Please feel free to reach out to us here and we can chat through any of the issues you gave about our communication or your Expensify account on the whole.

Thanks!

• DCCLAFDCCLAF Expensify Customer Posts: 2

Live online chat is not the same as live conversation.

• Ted HarrisTed Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 319 Expensify Team

Hi @DCCLAF, that's an interesting take! Would you mind elaborating what it is you feel you can't communicate via text that you can via some other method of live conversation that is equally inclusive?

• DCCLAFDCCLAF Expensify Customer Posts: 2

For example, I have been waiting for 6 minutes for a response to a question on Concierge. How is that like a real conversation. I don't mind waiting on hold to get a live person if I know that they are then committed to my one and only conversation. The organic nature of the thoughts and questions that come up as you speak your question and listen to the reply are hard to replicate with a text string.

• Ted HarrisTed Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 319 Expensify Team

I think we can probably agree that there is a more organic nature to spoken discussion yes @DCCLAF, but on balance I think we hope that any question you have for our support, you would already know and be able to convey via chat support, and you can of course always come back to the same chat. There are no "tickets" or "closing" of chats with us - you just pick up where you left off and I can assure you, anybody you chat to via Concierge is committed to your one and only conversation. We're not juggling many multiples of other customers at one time here.

Having checked your latest conversation with us, I see you started a new chat with us and received our immediate greeting response less than one minute later. After that, you rightly followed up with your further questions across 7 minutes, after which it took our support team 6 minutes to investigate and provide an answer. Then some more back and forth over the next 20 minutes when I believe your questions were answered

It is unlikely we'll scale up an entire phone support team to handle thoughts and questions which users didn't originally have when they picked up the phone, likely at the detriment to our existing support methods - and it's also worth pointing out that hold times during investigations via phone support can extend way beyond six minutes too, especially when looking into complex accounting problems or billing questions (as yours was).

Anyway, that's just how we see it of course but I appreciate your way of seeing things and I certainly don't think you're alone in that. For now, we're incredibly proud of the fast and excellent support we're able to give via email and chat (we even just won an award from TrustRadius for it!).