Why can't I upload receipts from the app without a merchant?

Options
rswhite777
rswhite777 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
edited January 2019 in Day to Day

This adds a step that I don't want when capturing receipts. Is there a setting I can adjust? I want to snap a pic, have the app upload and move on. Thanks.

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Options

Hello @rswhite777 - do you currently have SmartScan disabled in your account? If uploading a receipt for SmartScan, you should not need to enter any expense information.

If you have SmartScan enabled, can you confirm that you're updated to the most recent version of 8.0.1?

• rswhite777
    rswhite777 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

I disabled it almost immediately when it was first released quite awhile ago, so no, I do not have smartscan enabled. I did not like the feature as it confused many purchases that are similar when trying to match for my reports. Basically I preferred manual entry / matching once a month when I turn the report in.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Options

Thanks for confirming @rswhite777, I appreciate it!

At this time, with SmartScanned disabled we require a merchant to be added to upload a receipt on the mobile. We understand this isn't ideal for the manual expense creation workflow however, and are working as a team to improve this flow in the future.

If you have any other ideas for improving the manual expense creation flow, since you rely on it heavily, would you mind sharing them in our Ideas category?

Ideas share there give other customers a chance to vote for and share their use case in support of the feature request. Our team checks it regularly for trends or increased popularity for certain features.

Thanks!