We’re currently making some incredible improvements to SmartScan! During this time, you may experience delays of up to 24 hours for receipts completing SmartScan. This should be a short-term inconvenience that results in significant improvements to both SmartScan processing times and accuracy going forward. Thank you for your patience and please accept our apologies in advance! 

Thought I could run two separate businesses but accounts seem to stay linked!

chrisrobertswaleschrisrobertswales Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Hi all, In a real mess and need some help. Worked for one company and they used Expensify. I love the App now so want to stay with it for my own business. For some reason the new account (that should be empty) has pulled over the receipts from the old business and it seems I can't totally separate the accounts (or user error?). I need some help please ...I don't want to go to another app but not being able to clear this up is pushing me that way. Help.

Best Answer

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 880 Expensify Success Coach
    Accepted Answer

Hi @TeeBee Welcome to the Expensify Community!

As a general rule, you would have one Expensify account. For your own expenses you would use the Policy '(none)' which is what we also refer to as your personal policy. And for expenses associated with a business, you would use the Policy for that business.

Your Policy Admin can only see the expenses on a report which uses their Policy.

I would only recommend a completely separate account if you never want to see your personal and business expenses together. Otherwise I'd stick with one and just use the filters.

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 2,006 Expensify Success Coach

Hello @chrisrobertswales, happy to help with this.

It sounds like you are using the same account that you used to use for your old company.

Are you using the account under the same email or under a different email? If you want completely separate account, with no records from your old company, you'd need to create a new account under a different email address. Additionally, you could delete the old account with old expense information, and then recreate the account with your current email.

If you still have questions, we can work together on this via email to [email protected]

• TeeBeeTeeBee Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

So you just set up two different accounts with two email addresses and then take pictures of one companies receipt in one account and then switch accounts and take pictures for your personal business when you are in a different account?

• shyrahnshyrahn Posts: 1

Hi @RachCHopkins -- my company has recently started on Expensify and I'm totally digging it. I'd like to use it for my own freelance expenses, but I'd like to make sure that if I create my own Policy or Policies that:

a) No expenses will be visible to my employer
    b) If I ever leave, they can't just wipe it out

Can you confirm that my account is my account and they can't see stuff from my other policies and/or delete my account regardless of what email I use to login?

Thanks!
    Shayan

• tylerzolltylerzoll Posts: 527 Expensify Pro

@shyrahn, I would recommend setting up a completely separate account from your employer's policy. This will keep everything separated. You can add copilot access from one account to the other to make for easy switching. If you need some of the advanced features of Expensify, you will need to pay for your own monthly fee, but I certainly don't recommend adding expenses from your freelance business to your company's Expensify account.